Forums Latest Members
  1. Deano Oct 25, 2015

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi I am new to vintage watches I have inherited this watch of my grandad who passed away earlier this year could somebody please tell me something about it and how much it might be worth it is on a 9 carrt gold chain. Much thanks dean

noelekal likes this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 25, 2015

It's worth keeping and cherishing.

Nice dial...

Deano likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2015

Well, it's obviously an Omega movement. Case was made by the Dennison Watch Case Company in England and the serial number dates the movement to approx 1930.

The case isn't hallmarked so it would most likely be brass with gold plating.

The caliber (or movement) number under the balance can't bee seen, but a measurement across the movement will help to identify the caliber, maybe a Caliber 37.6L.

While they didn't have "Seamaster" or "Speedmaster" names for the watches in the 30s, this may have been referred to as an "Omega Art Deco Lépine" based on the period and the style.

Due to the limited number of pocket watch collectors, value is not that high and the gold chain adds little value as it's only worth the scrap gold content.

The best thing to do is find a reputable watchmaker and have it serviced but not "restored".

And the you can enjoy it as your grandfather obviously did.

Cheers

Jim

Edited Oct 25, 2015
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. Deano Oct 26, 2015

Thanks for your reply I have no intentions of selling as it was passed on to me ( well unless somebody tells me it's worth millions haha ) but I am fascinated by it and its history

5. Deano Oct 26, 2015

Thanks for the reply Jim my mother said it was my grandads dads and my grandad has just died age 94 so I thought it was at least 100 years old maybe the story has got a bit mixed up with you saying it's around 1930s there is a number under the workings sorry for wording but it's hard to read even with a magnifying glass I am fascinated by the watch and history of it and intended to keep it to pass on to my children well unless somebody tells me it's worth a million ha ha thanks for the info

6. devnull Oct 26, 2015

I think you got lucky with the watch not being worth much. A significant number of modern families have lost the capacity for keeping family heirlooms. They used to be an intrinsic part of the makeup of family, something that bonded not only those that came before but the ones that would follow, a tradition and duty that built upon identity the way mere words could not. What used to be parted with only under the most duress (famine, fleeing war, to pay for passage emigrating to a new land) it became something to fight over so it can be quickly sold to pay for instant gratification or credit card bills.

As stated it is not worth much so it shouldn't be much of a problem for you to pass it to the right person without others griping about it. Done right it could be more valuable than anything you could buy with the money.

Deano likes this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 26, 2015

Interesting thought, and I think you are right. Having gone through 5 family deaths/inheritance processes recently, it's an interesting to think about what was 'valued', etc

Deano likes this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 26, 2015

There's nothing to "restore". It's in nice condition.

Tom

Pvt-Public and Deano like this.