Forums Latest Members
  1. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

Currently this watch is going for $200 and I assume in the day it has left of bidding it will be upwards of $300.

I would appreciate some help to determine if this is genuine
    and a worthy first Vintage Omega watch for myself. Here are the pictures and information.

"Watch runs and keeps time. The dial is original, not repainted. The moment is free of rust or heavy stain. The case is rose gold plated with no deep corrosion. The strap is brand new generic lizard skin, not by Omega.”

"Omega SeaMaster Automatic Watch
    Movement is the Omega Ω562, 24 jewels full rotor automatic.
    The dial is original and in very good condition.
    The watch back has the Omega SeaMonster Logo."

Case Size - 34mm not including the crown
    Year - 1960 - 1969
    Lug Width - 18mm
    Ref - 166.001

piiiii.jpg piii.jpg
    pic6.jpg pic5.jpg pic4.jpg pic3.jpg pic2.jpg pic1.jpg

Edited Aug 13, 2016
  2. DON Aug 12, 2016

Missing luminous in minute hand. Sweep hand looks like crap. Little over-polished and brad scraps on the lugs (reason for heavy polish?)

Crown incorrect and new model (gold plated, not gold filled)

Pass

DON

3. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2016

Don has nailed the faults. If bought under $300 it could make for a decent starter vintage watch to wear.

4. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

Did not notice the missing lum in the minute hand, that's a bit of a bummer. Sweep hand looks ok to me but I do not have a trained eye.
    The crown is the wrong one? And my price range is not the gold filled, looking at gold plated right now. Is this still worth it for a certain price?

5. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

Answered my question before I asked, thank you. Will try to snag for around that price range. Will be my first vintage watch.

6. Edward53 Aug 12, 2016

It was a very nice watch at the beginning of its life, with a better-than-average dial. The markers have onyx inlay, so do the hands, part of which (not lume) is missing. But as mentioned above, polished to within an inch of its life, hands tired and wrong crown. If you could find a decent example, that would be a watch worth having. I have a non-date Seamaster with a very similar dial and hands which would be a beauty except for some bubbling and spotting. I still like it though.

ADDED: Just seen your last post above. If you buy this one cheap, fine, but if you stay on this forum, read and absorb information, you'll develop an eye for what's good, and then you won't want this watch anymore. Be patient if you can and hold fire for a really good one. I'm speaking from experience having made exactly the same mistake early on.

7. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

Yeah I still like it, and to an average joe it would be a nice watch to see on a wrist. Thanks for clarifying its onyx missing and not lume.

Can you also tell me how you can tell its been polished to much and how the hands are "tired"
    I am still going to try and snag it for a good price.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. Edward53 Aug 12, 2016

The edges of the case and the lugs have lost their sharpness of definition and have a rounded look. The hands are tired by virtue of losing some inlay and having surface damage on the second hand. The case leaps out (to me) as almost "blurred", next is the unsuitable and colour-mismatched crown. A closer look reveals the hand problems. This is what I mean by developing an eye. At least the hands are correct and the actual dial is good, but there are too many negatives for me to like this.

Of course it's easy for me to come out with all this as I already have several Omegas and so don't have the pressure that you are maybe feeling to get your first one before they become rarer and more expensive. I still think it's best to be picky, if you can steel yourself to that.

Stas likes this.
  9. APublixSub Aug 12, 2016

Right on, thanks for explaining all that to me. I really appreciate it, I'll see how expensive bidding gets and make my decision.

10. cantinker Aug 13, 2016

It's not easy to tell from looking at the photos on my phone but is the date wheel centered in the window?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

11. ConElPueblo Aug 13, 2016

I would still think "nice watch" if I saw this one someone's wrist :)

It has some issues, none bigger than the worn case, but that dial is really, really nice. Completely at odds with the case condition. At a later point in your collector career (if such a thing ends up happening), it could easily be used as a dial donor for a worthy cause.

12. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the reply, and yeah to me the case is not terrible but I do not have the almighty "Trained Eye" yet.

13. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

It's look centered, maybe a tiny off? I added another photo to try and tell.

14. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

From the photos, is the second hand bent at the end or am I just seeing that as an illusion from the glass? Also, I posted a picture of the movement.

15. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

Would appreciate any last bits of information or advice anyone can give me about the watch. Auction ends soon and need to decide to pull the trigger.

16. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

This watch is currently $310. Is it even worth it to keep bidding? What exactly is the value of this watch? Would appreciate any ones help.

17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 13, 2016

What puts me off is the volume of bids for the watch, with so many are from zero or low feedback bidders. Personally I would suggest you move on but for me the hunt is as much fun as the ownership.

18. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

So you found the listing :) , and yeah its almost up to $400 anyways. Its getting out of hand, buyer offers returns, so I thought I bid anyways and could always send it back, in the case its way worse than pictured.

Edit- Ended up going for $393. Got sniped anyways.

19. fzhu052 Aug 13, 2016

I suspect a lot of bidders use some kind of tool and time the bid in last 5 seconds. Very frustrating to see price jump in last moment. But the game is about who is willing to pay more. :)

20. APublixSub Aug 13, 2016

Definitely, of course I could of had a $400 bid ready to go at the last 3 seconds, but with what everyone said, this was not worth firing for that much.
    Will stay on the hunt for my first Vintage Omega