Forums Latest Members
  1. uqlm May 26, 2017

Dear Folks.
    Just bought my first old timer this afternoon. Could you please help me learn a bit more about it? Model, history, anything...
    Thanks a lot!

IMG_6348.JPG IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.JPG

2. Gordon Heavyfoot May 26, 2017

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 26, 2017

Dial has been refinished, which adversely effects value.

4. DON May 26, 2017

Sorry, but have to disagree. You don't know the condition of the original dial and the watch is not rare enough that a refinished dial affects the value.

That only comes into play on rare watches and even then some need to redone.

I made a $100 profit off pretty much every Omega watch I refinished and that.s still after the refinishers cost.

People want a clean looking watch to wear to work or for special occasions. Only the hardcore want original aged dials

DON

uqlm, Larry S and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  5. Snorkelflip May 26, 2017

Assuming the OP bought it from a dealer who had refinished the dial, that's already $100 of any profit he might have made, gone. Or am I missing your point?

I assume that @X350 XJR was talking about resale value??

6. phg.drs.antunes May 26, 2017

I'm a newbie, just getting into watches, but the general opinion, not only here, is that it's not good to refinish dials. Most members don't like it so I'm sticking with that when doing my "homework", that is looking and searching for new pieces :thumbsup:

BenBagbag and Snorkelflip like this.
  7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 26, 2017

That dial has been repainted. Period.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 26, 2017

As far as I can see, the OP has a good looking watch with what looks like a clean movement which may well have a refinished/restored/repainted dial. Not knowing what the condition of the dial was in before the restoration, we have no way of judging whether it looked like a p.o.s or something that a collector would drool over prior to the dial work.

And as to +/- value, well, to realise that he'd have to sell it and until then, it's a speculative figure. Maybe a collector wouldn't want it, but there is obviously a market for this sort of watch as proved by the OP's purchase ;)

I hope he gets many years of pleasurable wear from it.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! May 26, 2017

To a certain kind of collector, and I would imagine over 90% of the contributors on here a refinished dial is the kiss of death, rarity has nothing to do with it. I too think the watch above has had some dial work. Swiss made is too high plus others subtle things which look a bit off. The crown looks wrong to me too.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 26, 2017

And the OP said "Just bought my first old timer this afternoon".
    I am afraid that he had to pay for the value of an original instead of a redial.
    Things should be made clear and if he is still happy with what he bought, it's up to him.

Davidt likes this.
  11. Snorkelflip May 26, 2017

It appears this post captured all our attentions for the wrong reasons. The OP (I get it's a first post, and the suspicions that normally follow) asked for info about the watch etc. So far, it has been speculated that the watch had a refinished dial. This has led to a little drift.
    What's happened to the usual course for a first post:
    1. Senior member posts link to rules and regs of the forum. (Thank goodness that the OP stated he bought this watch, less he be derided for having inherited it from his aunties, uncles, sisters mother in laws dentist).
    2. More junior member comes in with polite advice about Forum rules.
    3. Learned member provides good, sound well appreciated advice to further the knowledge of the OP and anyone else who may be paying attention.

My opinion? I think it is a redial. Other than that, not a clue. I sit here lurking, ready to absorb the information of someone more knowledgeable than I.

12. j.allen May 26, 2017

Value is a funny word. In truth, the value is whatever somebody will pay for it. Now there is no question the dial has been refinished. The question is whether it increased or decreased it's value. Most collectors will scoff at this. Many people who are new to collecting or purchasing older watches may prefer this. True, to me I would prefer the original dial, even if it has patina and corrosion. However, the value is again determined by the actual buyer.

At a cursory glance the movement is in better external condition than any 30mm movement I own.

uqlm likes this.
  13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 26, 2017

To me, it is quite simple. If you want a shiny watch, buy a new one.
    If you love vintage, buy original.

I still don't understand why buy a vintage watch with a redial? Marry an old lady with a new facelift!?

Edited May 26, 2017
  14. BenBagbag May 26, 2017

I would have to agree with the general approach of @X350 XJR. Nevertheless, it certainly affects collectability. You may be making $100 or so now, but nobody is sitting collecting repainted dials, unless the painter is Rembrandt. These are as collectible as the movements and cases are. As @hoipolloi said, old lady, new facelift.

Snorkelflip likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 26, 2017

Welcome to the forum, @uqlm. First of all, the style of the hands and the shape of the indexes indicate your watch was made in the 1950s - more probably early 1950s. There's a place on Omega's website where I think you can enter the serial number of your watch to get a more specific date.
    Markings on the movement "Fab. Suisse" and on the rim of the case "metal" suggest, if i'm not mistaken, that it was made for the French market.

As you see there's a discussion whether your apparently refinished dial impairs the value of your watch.
    One important question is what intent you had in acquiring that watch. If the point was just to have a nice watch to wear, then if you like the way it looks that's all you need. But you should be aware that if you ever want to resell it the people who would buy it are not collectors, but simply people who want a nice looking vintage watch.
    If on the other hand you were following some advice in a magazine that you should buy watches as an investment, then refinished dials should probably be avoided because purist collectors shun them.
    Or, if you're a watch enthusiast planning to collect vintage watches, you also should avoid refinished dials because they're not viewed as collectable.

Best regards,
    S

Edited May 26, 2017
    watchknut, Davidt, pippy and 7 others like this.
  16. BenBagbag May 26, 2017

I would speculate that over time completely original pieces will be worth more than the $100 that you are able to make by flipping them after a paint-job.

17. DON May 26, 2017

First of all. Don't care. They're gone, so not my concern.

Second. Again. Not selling to collectors. Just the average Joe that wants a nice looking vintage watch.

If you want original. Thats your business. Mine was restoring and reselling.

Over time. That nice looking restored watch to the average person will still be worth more than the unrestored model.

Just how things work with the average buyer

DON

18. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 26, 2017

$100 is too expensive, I know where people charge $7 for a good redial job.

19. Snorkelflip May 26, 2017

Machiavellian cliche right here

20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 26, 2017

Did you charge extra for the over-polished cases too?