Forums Latest Members

Help With My Find Of The Day A Funky Omega 166.0118

1. watchthirst May 20, 2016

I stumbled upon and purchased this cool little funky looking Omega today. I am partners in a family owned pawn shop in NYC. Not long ago I was a financial advisor with J.P Morgan, but eventually something hit me and I came back to what I love most and that's buying, selling, and collecting junk, antiques, and collectibles. I did this since I was 13 years old. Naturally I continue to do so in order to support the pawn shop. Many times the things I find and buy are from estates being liquidated, thrift stores, and yes the junkyard and garbage. This Omega I found was in an estate I've been working since December. I intend to sell it and my concern is to list it for sale accurately, with full disclosure of it's originality. As I have never seen an Omega like this one before, I thought many of you Omega gurus could share with me what your thoughts are on it's originality. I generally try to steer away from speaking about values, but I'd like to ask what you guys think would be a fair asking price for this? I'd like to offer it at a fair price and this is the only reason that I ask. If that's an area anyone doesn't feel comfortable coming near, I completely understand and apologize in advanced for asking.

The watch is gold plated, keeping good time, and could use a service sometime soon as it seems that it hasn't been worn in a very long time. Cal. 1480 movement and a 33,xxx,xxx serial.

Any info shared is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced

IMG_9029.jpg IMG_9030.jpg IMG_9031.jpg IMG_9033.jpg IMG_9034.jpg IMG_9035.jpg
    GuiltyBoomerang and OMGRLX like this.
  2. omegastar May 21, 2016

In that condition, I think around 100$. May be 150$. Well in Belgium, that would be well paid.
    Best
    Mounir

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 21, 2016

Found the axe that put that chop in the case

image.jpeg

ahartfie, watchthirst and omegastar like this.
  4. lillatroll May 21, 2016

I expect you did a google search of the case number and found your watch dial to be unique. Normally one would expect atleast one other example of your watch to come up somewhere but that does not seem to be the case. By changing the last didgets of the case back number and searching also came up blank. Just searching for omega cal 1481 also came up with nothing that looks like your watch, well there is one picture and it seems to be the same watch you have pictured but on ebay, however when I went to to the ebay page it does not show up there either. The possibilities, based on what we can find on the information superhighway with the information we are given,are:

1 the dial has been taken from another watch
    2 the case back is not from this watch
    3 the watch is a rare find, a one off prototype.

5. omegastar May 21, 2016

Took me 29 seconds

http://www.thevintagewatch.net/product/omega-automatic-geneve-3
    http://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/53529-fs-omega-stainless-automatic-caliber-1480-vintage-1972/

6. lillatroll May 21, 2016

The first watch has a different dial on it and it is what shows up on Google images when typing in the case number. The second watch clearly is a SS version of the OP watch so at least that makes it likely that the watch is original.

7. watchthirst May 21, 2016

Thank you all for your insights.

Good eye @STANDY , finding that axe. ;)

OMGRLX likes this.