Forums Latest Members
  1. SuperSaver Oct 5, 2017

I need help about what to do with dad's Constellation Calendar. My dad is recovering after a long illness, and I hope to restore his old Omega as a get-well gift. I come to you for help. My questions (newbie) are:

1) What model/year is this? He probably received it from my Grandpa in the 1970's

2) Should I try to find a vintage bracelet? He has a chinese-made brass one it appears

3) What, if anything, should I do to it?

As you can see, it has a few scratches on the dial. I love the little dings here and there, which adds a lot to the emotional connection towards the watch. I have read a lot of not making vintage watches new again with new replacements - Frankenwatches. I will not polish it, etc.

From my reading here, Omega will cost $1000, and has a heavy hand in restoring vintage watches. I trust a local repairman here locally. I suspect if there are no authentic parts available, both official Omega and local watch repairman will do the same job.

The watch runs faithfully I believe. unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-3.jpg
    Syrte, balaja, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  2. mikechi22 Oct 6, 2017

Hi there, SS! What a nice gesture to restore your dad’s watch as he recuperates. I have to imagine that this watch will clean up nicely. A pie pan dial with arrow head markers is a great version of this model! I think he’s going to be delighted!

As you’ve correctly intuited, Omega itself isn’t suitable for the job you’re proposing. Neither is the local jeweler. You really want to find someone with expertise in restoring vintage Omegas. That person will have a parts account and likely a work bench full of cubbies with vintage bits to use when the right project comes in. If you let people know where you are, they can recommend a reputable person to you. This is very much a relationship, so find the right person. He will open the Connie up and let you know what it needs. Crystal polishing or new one will be part of that prescription I’m sure.

At the same time, you should be looking for a different bracelet. I’ve read that those stretchy numbers, while popular with gentlemen of a certain age, are damaging to the watch. I would go with a nice alligator or shark skin, myself. If your dad doesn’t want to futz with a buckle, you could get a deployment (sp?) one that he just needs to pinch down on his wrist. If you check the “Accessories for Sale” page in here, there is a guy advertising these.

Good luck with your project and God bless you for doing something so nice for your pa!

3. Noddyman Oct 6, 2017

It looks like a ref 2943 from then late 50's and should be fitted with. cal 504. Exact year can be established from the number stamped on the movement.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. peire06 Oct 6, 2017

I concur. Late 50s.

You don't have so much work to do on the watch. The crystal is plexi; looks like it has many scratches. Have it buffed. You should also have the movement overhauled. For the strap, I would go classic. Black leather strap with Omega rose gold buckle.

You watch will look great.

5. ConElPueblo Oct 6, 2017

Very nice Constellation - here's hoping that good taste runs in the family :thumbsup:

I'd probably choose to find a proper strap instead of a bracelet. IMO, the gold bracelets for vintage Omegas tend to overwhelm the watches aesthetically and I far prefer a thin-ish leather band. Lizard is nice :)

Retsamaes, Paulomega and mikechi22 like this.
  6. Euxinus Oct 6, 2017

As mentioned in the post im quoting, if the watch is running it wont require much work. A polish of the crystal or a new crystal, new gaskets and a service of the movement and you should be good.

7. Kwijibo Oct 7, 2017

Hi!

I had the same one but in stainless steel. Si not the same one ok...
    my opinion :
    circa 1955
    put a nice croc bracelet on it
    have the movement serviced
    change the crystal
    just polish the case with some abrasive paste. Lightly!
    let the dial as is.

8. Kja Oct 7, 2017

You can tell from the lugs and the thinner crown that this may be later? It still has a snapback case but I think it is either early 50's bumper or a 55x series movement? I didn't think the 50x series used that crown? Or had lugs like that..

9. peire06 Oct 7, 2017

Before buying a new crystal, you might want to have your crystal buffed. Maybe all the scratches can be buffed out.

10. peire06 Oct 7, 2017

For the polishing of the case, if I were you, I would have it done by a professional watchman.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 7, 2017

:eek:
    Lovely sharp case
    I wouldn't have it polished at all!

Syrte, Archer, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  12. Kwijibo Oct 7, 2017

I would just wide it hard with some polywatch after cleaning it in an elma bath.
    I would say this is a
    1960 - 1962

Constellation
    Calendar

KO 14902
    1960-62
    561 inside.

it seems to be a snap in caseback. If you have a nice thin blade you should be able to pop it up. Look carefully it there's a slot somewhere around the caseback.
    If it's a 561 all the parts are available if something is broken.
    With a nice cleaning and servicing this should male a really nice watch.
    If your crystal is too deeply scratched change it with a gold tension ring one.

Edited Oct 7, 2017
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2017

The case can be cleaned without polishing. That alone will make it sparkle :thumbsup:

Syrte likes this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 7, 2017

Not a 14902 (dogleg)
    It's a snap back so I'd go with @Noddyman

15. Noddyman Oct 7, 2017

The 14902 has dog legged lugs and was superseded by the 168.005

16. Noddyman Oct 7, 2017

Sorry you beat me to it.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 7, 2017

18. Kwijibo Oct 7, 2017

hi gatorcpa

you've just done what I was about to do ;) neverthless it's described a stainless steel.
    Probably a version without the same indices.

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 7, 2017

Unfortunately, Omega in their infinite wisdom, decided to take away the "other information" section of their database where they had a list of the case metals available for each reference.

There was another website that saved a lot of those old webpages, but it also bit the dust.

Luckily, the Internet Web Archive exists and has a lot of these pages saved.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016042...hp/data-watch/omega/caliber-5/cal-504/ck-2943

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

mikechi22 likes this.
  20. Kwijibo Oct 7, 2017

Mine had a similar dial but not date and a screwed in back.
    20170125_120613.jpg 20170125_120703.jpg 20170125_120757.jpg back.jpg

back.jpg
    GregH likes this.