Forums Latest Members
  1. maveed Mar 18, 2019

Hi, I've come across an old omega watch belonging to my father and was hoping someone could help me identify the model. The gold plating on the case has gone dull and the plating is peeling off the bracelet. If i were to send it in to omega for a service would they replate the bracelet or would that only be done if i opted for restoration? Also there seems to be no option to set the date on it. Is there something wrong with the movement or did these old omegas have some other way to change date. It is still changing as the time passes midnight. Thanks

F19FF368-36EE-4675-97FF-EB6EEF3F96E1.jpeg
  2. rincondeltiempo Mar 18, 2019

As far as I can see, it's a 60's or 70's Omega. To "diagnose" the movement we would need to see it, but I think it would be easier to take it to a local trusted watchmaker that does vintage.
    Usually Omega Service Center charges insane amounts of money, but you'll be guaranteed to get a like new watch.
    If you want to preserve the attitude and personality of the watch, I for sure will take it to the local watchmaker that I'm sure some OP could recommend if you provide your location.

Best,
    Javi.

3. maveed Mar 19, 2019

Thanks for your advice.
    I'm near London. If anyone has any recommended watchmakers in or around London, please let me know.
    When you say preserving the personality of the watch do you mean Omega would change the looks of the watch in some way?
    From what i have checked the service cost that omega has listed online is £480. This appears to include cleaning and refurbishment of the bracelet and case. Though im not sure if that means they will replate the bracelet.
    Would a third party service, and refurbishment of the case and bracelet be substantially cheaper?
    Thanks
    N

4. rincondeltiempo Mar 19, 2019

Finding a good watchmaker on that area won't be hard. Do a quick search on the forum, I'm sure you'll find something!
    I'm just saying that your father watch. That's how he wore it and how he enjoyed it. Refurbishing it, at least for me, it's making that watch like another totally different watch.
    The beauty of these things is not only how they look but their history and heritage, and I'm sure that looking at a "beaten up" watch could make you remember how your dad wore it. Nevertheless, the last call is always yours!

Best,
    Javi.