Forums Latest Members

Help with Longines watch please

1. Eyefor Jul 3, 2017

Apologies for the plea for help in a first post - but I have no idea what this watch is.

I was gifted this in the mid 1980's. Case and strap are 9 carat solid gold, case is 5.25mm thick and (somewhere, I hope) I have the box and papers that show it was purchased in Jersey.

Could anyone please throw any light on the type or model number and / or an idea of value please? The insured value is a silly amount.

The movement is quartz.

Thanks in advance. IMG_0519.jpg IMG_0520.jpg IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0523.jpg

Edited Jul 6, 2017
  2. w154 Jul 3, 2017

Sorry to report that pretty much everything about your Longines is fairly undesirable these days. As it's quartz it won't appeal to watch collectors, its very heavily decorated which is out-of-fashion, and the integrated bracelet means it can't be worn on any other kind of strap. But there is some good news... if it weighs a decent amount the scrap value would be pretty high (think low-mid hundreds). How heavy is it in grams ?

Rumar89 likes this.
  3. Eyefor Jul 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply.
    The watch is very light so scrap value will be negligible?
    Maybe I'll put it in the wardrobe along with my flared bottomed trousers and hope they all come back in to fashion!

argonbeam, dodo44 and Rumar89 like this.
  4. dodo44 Jul 3, 2017

We complain about all the fancy gold dress watches that were melted in the 80s-90s when quartz came in fashion and the price of gold was high. Who knows, in 20 years, we may be complaining about all those solid gold quartz watches that were melted in the 2010s when they were seen as too ornate and lacking in soul compared to mechanical watches.

argonbeam likes this.
  5. Eyefor Jul 3, 2017

My thoughts exactly.
    It makes we cringe when I think about the Apple 1 computer I threw away because it was outdated (now £200,000+), the Aston Martin DB5 I did not buy for £1100 (now £300,000+) because the insurance was too high and several more things.... Damn and double damn!!
    Looks like it will have to sit in the safe for another 20 years unless (and I sincerely hope this is not breaking any Forum rules) someone else likes the look of it and wants to make an offer?

argonbeam likes this.
  6. argonbeam Jul 7, 2017

Definitely wouldn't scrap, as 9K scrap value to low to justify losing that cool patterned case! Integrated bracelets are a PITA though, so would be gentle with this old dear. Get a fat tie, flared collar shirt to go with your trousers and hit nice spot for dinner.

Vitezi and Eyefor like this.
  7. Eyefor Jul 7, 2017

Great idea - except the only things that still fit are watch and the tie :-(
    I definitely will not scrap it.

argonbeam and Vitezi like this.