Forums Latest Members

Help with Longines ID (Warning: Very little information)

1. BenBagbag Apr 26, 2017

Hey everybody,

I was hoping to get some more information on my late grandfather's prized Longines. It is currently sitting in a safe somewhere on Long Island so I really only have the two (off-centered) iPhone pictures of the dial alone. It is quite a peculiar piece - I haven't seen lugs like these on another watch. The hours are marked with what presumably are diamonds.

That all being said, I am trying to learn more about vintage watches in general but I have more of a sense of how to identify an Omega. I know that the dial alone is usually not enough to identify a vintage watch, nevertheless I figured I'd ask at this point, because I really don't know when I am going to be able to get more pictures.

Any info at all would be really enlightening! longines 2.jpg 4E833427-.jpg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 26, 2017

Longines "Revere".

Diamond dial would have been a special order, as this was also offered with a baton index dial in the standard model.

BenBagbag and argonbeam like this.
  3. argonbeam Apr 26, 2017

Likely a 23z movement, as this watch was also offered with a center seconds 23zs movement. Lots of interesting lug designs from Longines during this time period. Cool watch.

Syrte, BenBagbag and Larry S like this.
  4. BenBagbag Apr 27, 2017

You helped me twice yesterday. Thank you so much!

Thank you. I don't really see a lot of these around the internet. Was this a watch with very little production? Is there a way to learn more about this watch? Googling Longines Revere doesn't bring up much. Nothing like this sold on eBay. Is there a better way to search for this?

Again thanks for all the help. I know getting my hands on the watch should bring more help.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 30, 2017

I've seen similar models several times on Ebay, but yours is in much better condition and thankfully the dial looks original.
    Nice watch.

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. BenBagbag Apr 30, 2017

@Syrte can you point me to one? Know what I should be searching for? Again, don't get much from Longines Revere. Thank you so so much!

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 30, 2017

Sorry, but I can't point you to one currently although you might find one if you look at every single Longines listed.
    I've seen one several times over time, maybe it was the same one being relisted even, but I haven't saved the ad or paid attention to how it was described.
    I just noticed them because of their very characteristic lug shape.

I doubt you would get much from those ads anyway, except if there are any differences with your watch. You'll get more info by asking Longines for an extract of archive once you have the movement serial. They'll tell you what year it was produced. However they will never give you production numbers as they have a rule they don't give that info.
    People here who follow 1950s or 1960s Longines might be able to tell you more - I don't follow those periods.

BenBagbag and argonbeam like this.
  8. argonbeam Apr 30, 2017

Look up "Longines mustache" on eBay for most likely hit, as sellers like to call attention to the lugs. Cases made in USA (14K mostly an American thing) by a number of manufacturers. Have seen this watch design in yellow gold and non-diamond dial with a D&A case before, which is DiVincenzo and Arienti in New York, who made a lot of nice cases for a number of watch companies, Swiss and domestic. A movement and caseback shot would allow Longines to give you more information. I like the fact yours is white gold, which seems rarer than yellow, and the nice dial with extra bling factor ;).

BenBagbag likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 30, 2017

BenBagbag, argonbeam and noelekal like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 1, 2017

There you go. Yet another two on Ebay (first one with an ugly redial). They do say "mustache" "swirl" lugs.

[​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14K-YELLO...957702?hash=item4d58b85706:g:qR0AAOSweWVXfUE1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14K-Gold-...032208?hash=item36173bd950:g:ljgAAOSwd0BV7PbkPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Different lugs but similar dial:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14K-White...395878?hash=item4d58afc466:g:FC4AAOSw9N1Vrru8Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Edited May 1, 2017
    argonbeam and BenBagbag like this.
  11. BenBagbag May 1, 2017

argonbeam likes this.
  12. argonbeam May 2, 2017

22L movement rather than the 23z I had originally suspected given there is a center seconds version as well, and 22L line never had a center seconds. Like gatorcpa's idea about a different name. Either way, tons of parts for either, so maintenance shouldn't be an issue.

13. Fialetti May 3, 2017

You can see a watch with similar lugs in this ad dated to 1952/53.

upload_2017-5-4_9-35-53.png

DaveK, BenBagbag and Yuriae like this.