Forums Latest Members

Help with ladies Universal Geneve watch

1. KMwatch Nov 10, 2013

I'm a vintage watch fan (first time forum user) and hope some of you can help me in identifying this watch i picked up at a local thrift store ($5). I have searched the internet and have not found any of this particular model. Hoping some of you can give me more detail and help me estimate a value. Watch is a ladies Universal Geneve in very good condition (some scratches where someone tried to open the back), measures 18.6mm across, 8mm inside lug spacing and 10.5mm outside lug spacing. Serial numbers are 1979652 and 45538/1. Case is marked "Plaque G 20 EPSA" which i understand to translate to gold plated. Band appears original (in poor/dry condition) and is marked with " Universal". Band buckle is in excellent condition and is marked "Plaque G Swiss [AW]". Inside back cover is marked "Swiss Fond Acier Inoxydable". Mechanism is marked "17 Seventeen Jewels Unadjusted", "Universal Geneve Swiss". Movement is a 501. Watch is beautiful with minimal signs of wear and keeps time perfectly. My research shows that this watch dated from approximately 1957-1958. Any help with model name and or an idea of value would be greatly appreciated! Pictures attached. 6 Nov 13 834.JPG 6 Nov 13 905.JPG 6 Nov 13 915.JPG 6 Nov 13 922.JPG 6 Nov 13 925.JPG

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 10, 2013

Welcome. There won't be a model name associated with this watch - there rarely is with women's watches - but I believe your dating is correct. The radially fluted bezel is a fairly frequent UG design element from that period, which is around the time the Polerouter model line was introduced.

The numerical reference is engraved on the back: 45538/1. The other number is the case number. Absent finding it in a catalog, you are not likely get much more model information than that.

3. KMwatch Nov 11, 2013

-----------------
    Thanks for the information. I've noticed that i can typically find better name/model information on the men's watches, much harder on the ladies. Any idea on the best way, or site that would help establish value? I have not found this particular model on line. Other ladies gold plate UG watch sale prices seem to be all over the place...$50 to $300.