Forums Latest Members
  1. Werdna Sep 15, 2020

CE35C22D-1011-4626-85BD-982B6818D737.jpeg 1A47306E-86BF-41CF-BE28-E21323F1C3E6.jpeg CC00495D-0BE4-40EF-827B-E749FEC4064C.jpeg 94294E17-A883-4D1D-8E92-A0DE866E8312.jpeg Hello folks,

First time poster so apologies for any etiquette faux-pas!

I’ve inherited my grandfathers Omega Constellation watch. I have really very little information on it - my granddad died in the early 90s just after I was born and my dad kept the watch for safe keeping until a couple of years ago. Before he gave it to me he brought it to an Omega reseller for a service, and replaced the strap. Unfortunately he can’t find any information from when the watch was serviced (serial number, etc).

I’m just looking to see if someone can help me identify the watch, and a ballpark value? I have absolutely zero intention of selling it, I’m more interested in whether I should insure it or not...

Not sure if it helps but the watch would have been bought in the UK, I think sometime in the 60s or 70s.

Thanks in advance for any info on this, I would just love to know what I’m wearing :)

AK

masteroftime, GreekOmega and murph like this.
  2. janice&fred Sep 15, 2020

Just wear and enjoy it and don't worry about insurance. It's not a mega bucks watch but a good heirloom.

3. michael22 Sep 15, 2020

Hello.
    The watch has a damaged dial, missing a short induce at 3. As a result, it will never be worth much in dollar terms. Less than $500.
    Further info will be inside the caseback.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 15, 2020

Welcome to the forum, in addition to what’s been said it has a very high quality movement.
    Also unless I am mistaken it looks to be gold capped — ie a steel case with a thick layer of gold on top.
    That is much sturdier and higher quality than simple gold plating.
    So indeed a nice watch to wear and enjoy.

Sam11, Rudi99, kkt and 2 others like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 15, 2020

Welcome @Werdna
    I suspect your watch is a 168.018, from around the late 60s.

the ‘missing’ index at 3 might in fact just be a darkened or missing lume plot.
    (See image below of a very similar watch posted on OF)

ideally you should get the watch serviced if you are going to wear it.

whilst it might only fetch a few hundred if you tried to sell it, you should insure it for around £1,000

A4CC74EF-D767-4D64-8DC6-53CA73DED867.jpeg

Shabbaz likes this.
  6. Werdna Sep 15, 2020

Thanks very much to you all for your helpful replies, I really appreciate you taking the time.

The index at 3 is indeed missing. As I said, I just wanted to check whether or not it is worth insurance, which I probably won’t bother with given the info. I’ll just wear it and enjoy it and try not to break it :)

@Syrte this may be a silly question, but how can I tell if it is gold plated or gold capped?

@Peemacgee do you think it would be worthwhile getting the 3 index replaced? While I would quite like to get the watch looking it’s best, I also don’t want to sink a ton of money into it (which could instead go towards a lovely Omega for me to hand down to my grand kids )

Thanks again :)
    AK

Dor_42 and kkt like this.
  7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 15, 2020

Is there actually a hole in the dial at 3 or just a dirty mark?
    A hole for an index is usually much smaller than that shown in your pic.

the thick line of gold along the case and lug show that it is gold capped
    A thick layer of 14k gold bonded to the watch case

IMG_0423 2.jpg

No, its not worth replacing the 3 index if it is indeed missing. (and would be quite difficult to find a matching index)
    Just wear it and enjoy it as @janice&fred said.

Syrte likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 15, 2020

With gold cap you can see a separate layer of gold— we’d need better pictures especially around the lugs and where the gold meets the steel— but I think I can discern that.
    Gold plate is so thin, it’s just a few dozen microns- you cannot literally see a layer; it’s more like a metal bath.

Edit/ add- just saw our replies crossed with @Peemacgee.
    Good on you for blowing up those pics :thumbsup:

Peemacgee likes this.
  9. kkt Sep 15, 2020

The watch should be serviced about every 4-5 years, unless you don't wear it at all and just let it sit stopped. The lubricants dry out after several years so if you run it in that condition there's excess wear on the metal. If you know where it was taken for service, they may have left marks on the inside caseback that they can decode and tell you how long it's been, or look up the serial number in their database. It would be nice to find out the serial number (engraved on the movement) and the case reference (on the inside caseback) as well. In the long run if you wear it regularly there's probably a lower cost watchmaker than an Omega reseller.

Not in flawless collector condition, but don't worry about that. It's still pretty, and you can wear it around without worrying about getting a scratch on it.

10. Werdna Sep 15, 2020

@Peemacgee so there isn’t a hole but the index is flush with the dial which made me think it’s damaged/missing. Looking at the photo of the similar watch in your previous post it does indeed look raised, but is that the actual index part or just the lume plot.
    (Sorry if that sentence didn’t make any sense, my vocabulary of watch parts is not good )
    950B7F7C-DDFE-4320-8A38-65D489F22FAE.jpeg

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 15, 2020

I think you just have a missing lume plot not a missing index.
    the indices on yours are very similar to the comparator I posted - and I don’t think yours ever had a 3 index.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 15, 2020

Depending on where you are there are some very talented lume professionals who can relume the dial and hands and replace the missing lume plot.
    The watch would not be more valuable but it could transform its look and make it more pleasing.

noelekal likes this.
  13. Werdna Sep 16, 2020

@Syrte I live in north Hertfordshire, so basically all of east anglia and central/north London are in easy reach. Any chance you have some suggestions for the lume people?

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 16, 2020

Yes I will send you a private message- I only have one or two suggestions however, maybe others will have more.
    Also you may have to ship the watch.

Edited Sep 16, 2020
    SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 16, 2020

I think your watch has already been relumed at some point in its life, as the lume is large, irregular and very dark. (compare to the similar example I posted)
    If you can replace it all it would look better but the dial may be stained with the larger plots that are on there now.

STS and Simon Freese are close to you (Essex) but might be on the more expensive side for a service.
    @Mitka at the Watchguy did a great job of reluming some hands for me but you will have to post your watch to him as he is in Gloucester (BTW most of us do post watches for service)

16. Werdna Sep 19, 2020

Hi everyone,

Sorry for only returning to this now. Thanks again to everyone for the great information. I really appreciate it and feel even more in love with the watch :)

I’ll follow up with the suggestions for who could repair the lux, but either way will enjoy wearing it for the foreseeable future :)

thanks again,
    AK

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 19, 2020

Mitka is in Hampshire now with a BH postcode.

Peemacgee likes this.
  18. nkhandekar Sep 19, 2020

I have one of these as well. Its a great watch. Mine is from 1969 and was originally sold in Singapore, and made its way to Watchco in Melbourne before I bought it. It still keeps chronometer time.

You have a nice one. Wear it and enjoy it. Its a top drawer watch from the 1960s.

DSCN4570-vi.jpg
    noelekal likes this.