Forums Latest Members

Help with IDing a no-name manual from the late 50s(?)

1. Tbaker Jul 10, 2018

vintage_omega_manual_winding_watch_14k_gold_filled_da_with_sub_second_34mm_1511246610_d59dc78f.jpg

Really sorry to bother everyone, but I am having trouble finding information about this watch. Please also excuse the poor photo quality---I scrubbed the internet for days, and only came up with this pic.

I recently had this watch stolen. It was formerly my grandfather's (of course), and I had worn it every day for the past fifteen years or so. I really want to replace this watch as exactly as I can.

The picture is from a finished sale where, sadly, the seller posted scant info. Only that it was a d&a case, 34mm, and gold-filled. And of course, manual wound.

I don't have much more solid information beyond that. I never really looked into mine, but it was probably gold plated. My gramps bought it (in Los Angeles) during a time when he was downsizing and trying to fund his daughters' college educations. When I got it fixed, I didn't get the impression that the repair man was overly impressed. I'd always heard this was a sort of mass produced, low-end omega.

But I just haven't been able to find much or anything about it. I get the feeling it may have been one of those semi-generic models that slipped through the cracks. It was incredibly thin after all. My best guess is that it was manufactured sometime between 1955 and 1964.

I really loved and adored this watch. Any information whatsoever be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading, and lmk any questions.

Edited Jul 10, 2018
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 10, 2018

I think this is as close to the information you seek as you are going to get. There is no model name for this watch. Even the model number (from the inside of the case) might not help.

These watches were produced for the US market with US made gold-filled cases and Swiss Omega movements. Probably a cal. 267 or 268 inside. Both are part of the Omega 30mm family.

You can find similar watches on eBay for anywhere from $200 to $400 depending on condition. I would suggest that you post dial pictures here, as most of these have had the dials refinished, as the factory finishing work just hasn't held up well through the years.

Good luck with your search.
    gatorcpa

3. Tbaker Jul 10, 2018

Thank you. This is incredibly helpful. Good to know---at least---that there's not much I'm missing, and this will just be mostly a brute force search. thanks again for the info. I'll start plugging it in.

I'll be sure to post anything I find that's close. So far not much. But I'll get there. Good tip about the dials. I'm going to read up a bit.

I wish the dirty thief would have ransomed the watch to me, instead of probably melting it down for $14 of gold.

Edited Jul 10, 2018