Forums Latest Members
  1. Ervin Apr 4, 2016

Just won an eBay auction for an omega Deville. Don't know the year and whether the watch is legit or not. Seems like a very good price. Could any of you guys help? Thanks in advance.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222069355979Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 4, 2016

Why would you bid on a watch, no matter how inexpensive, before researching whether or not it is legit? ::facepalm2::

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 4, 2016

Hi Ervin and welcome to the forum!
    Year is 1969 and the stamp on the caseback, 531.005 is Omega's reference number.
    Unfortunately, the ladies watches are not followed much and usually don't have much value.
    If it works and you like it, great!

Please heed Tony's advice if you decide to pursue vintage watches, he's trying to save you the "noob tax".

Again, welcome!

4. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 4, 2016

$74 is pittance if it works..great catch!

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Ervin Apr 4, 2016

Thanks guys for the advice and info. I like the look of the watch and wanted to get it for the wife, who like vintage things.

I actually found this forum after I won. Haha.

But im getting more and more interested in getting one for myself:)

6. Ervin Apr 4, 2016

Yeah that's what I thought. It supposed to be working guaranteed.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Under $80 for a ladies Omega is a decent buy. These mesh bracelets are getting popular again.

Please understand that it will likely need a service and that is going to cost you more than the $80 you paid.

But go to the Omega Boutique and see what a new ladies' Seamaster costs in 2016 money.

You did very well for a 1st timer.
    gatorcpa

chronos and Foo2rama like this.
  8. dx009 Apr 4, 2016

Does the movement look alright to you guys ? :oops:

I believe the crystal is a replacement...

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

Generally it's better to work out what you're buying before just handing over cash.

Although if you have $74 going spare, I have some fantastic magical beans... ;)

Peemacgee likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 4, 2016

Great find congrats on not paying a noob tax on your first purchase! Ignore the hater everyone starts somewhere and it looks like you did very well.

12. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2016

I'd say you did okay Ervin. :thumbsup: Just don't be shocked when you find out how much regular maintenance costs. The watch most certainly needs to have the internals cleaned and lubricated BEFORE any more use.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2016

I see no haters in this thread. There are a couple straight forward questions, and a little ball busting / hazing, but no nastiness.

Ervin, we'll help you when it comes time to pick yourself a watch.

14. Ervin Apr 4, 2016

How does one know if the movement is a replacement?

15. Ervin Apr 4, 2016

Another question. I found there is the vintage omega database on the omega site. But I tried to input the name to find the watch and it didn't work (or I can't get it to work). Is there another way of finding more info for a particular watch?

Thanks for all the hazing and encouragements. This forum is awesome. Most other forums are full of spam or thread crap.

16. dx009 Apr 4, 2016

I said the crystal (the glass) might be a replacement. Since I don't see a hologram in the center of the glass (although they are small and barely visible).
    I don't know about the movement. I just find it a little weird that it has parts of different hues. Although they seem to follow a pattern of degrade which might be a cause of where and how the watch has been stored.
    I heard someone saying you, sometimes, need to add a 0 after the first dot of the reference or so...i.e. 123.->0<-051