Forums Latest Members
  1. Bramble May 10, 2018

Hi,
    I saw this watch for sale, the owner claims he only bought it last month and that the previous seller had it serviced.
    No mention of reference or movement. I had a look myself in the omega vintage database, but none of the models seem to fit (automatic, day, yellow gold capped, screw in back, seamaster)
    I would be very thankful if someone could help me identify the model (and possibly the movement inside it)
    As I understand, calibre 1xxx movements are not as desired as 5xx or 6xx ones.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Edward53 May 10, 2018

I don't know what model that is but the movement is likely to be a 565. Case looks heavily polished and crown looks like a replacement. As vintage Omegas go it's not particularly exciting.

3. Bramble May 10, 2018

I can see its not particularly special but I'm I just looking for a simple date automatic for my dad as a gift. Would this acceptable?

4. Edward53 May 10, 2018

Not for me, because I wouldn't be happy with this watch knowing that much nicer ones are available. I also think it's a rather uninspired case design, so for it to be desirable the condition would have to be excellent, and this one is distinctly mediocre. If it's dirt cheap and your Dad isn't too fussy, maybe but otherwise it's thumbs down from me. But I can only give you a personal view and your priorities might not be mine.

It also depends on how much of a hurry you are in, but hurry is the enemy of good purchases and the friend of bad ones.

Dan S and michael22 like this.
  5. Bramble May 10, 2018

I'm actually not that in a hurry, his birthday is at the end of August. But constantly browsing ebay and other sites to look for a suitable deal is taking a lot of time

dxholdren likes this.
  6. Edward53 May 10, 2018

There's no way around that!

7. Bramble May 10, 2018

Do you think these requirements are possible to find within the next 2-3 months?
    Round dial
    date window (day is optional)
    dial colour doesn't matter as long as its not too badly damaged
    gold plated front would be cool but optional
    year 1966 would be very cool (birthyear of my dad) but optional
    Good working condition/recently serviced
    around £700 max

8. Lucasssssss May 10, 2018

Undoubtably. I can see 2 for sale here just looking through the for sale forum

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...atic-cal-562-w-date-in-stainless-steel.75299/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...f-166-128-38mm-vintage-jumbo-automatic.75438/

9. Edward53 May 10, 2018

Definitely, so you can afford to take a little while over this. If you are not dead set on Omega, there are other options. For example, I rather like this Zenith but as mentioned, it's all about what appeals to you, or rather your Dad.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zenith-s...877358?hash=item3d63b6016e:g:rTAAAOSwsBda73gePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Dan S likes this.
  10. Bramble May 10, 2018

Ooh I like the first one, thanks for that

That looks nice as well, I'll add it to the list. I have a whole list of watches Im considering if not buying vintage omega. It looks like this right now:
    [​IMG]

11. dxholdren May 10, 2018

The hunt is supposed to be part of the adventure! Enjoy browsing and fishingn through three garbage! To me, at least, it makes the purchase of a beautiful piece that much more satisfying because you put in the effort that you have.

12. Bramble May 10, 2018