Forums Latest Members
  1. mav1919 Nov 12, 2014

I've inherited this watch from my Father and i'm trying to establish the model of the watch. It's from some time around 1979 and was bought in the Cayman Islands. Please note that the strap is not the original.

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Mike

IMG_0131.jpg IMG_0132.jpg
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 12, 2014

It looks like a gold plated 10xx series entry level automatic from the mid-seventies. To identify the watch definitively you would need to have the case back removed to show the markings on the inner case back and also provide a pic of the movement.

Cheers

Desmond

3. mav1919 Nov 12, 2014

Thanks for the reply. So i guess my next question would it be worth paying the £450 i've been quoted to get it serviced and back up and running like new?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 12, 2014

$700+?! :eek: Highway robbery!

Even Omega only charges US$635 for a full service on this caliber of bracelet watch.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/complete-maintenance-service-prices
    Note: Cal. 10XX are considered Category 2 movements.

Maybe it's a bit more there due to VAT, but that amount is absurd. Should be able to have an independent watchmaker do the job for no more than £200, and I think even that's rather high, even by UK standards.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. mav1919 Nov 12, 2014

Thank you for the help, as you can i know very little about watches. If i was to sell this is full working order how much should i put it up for? i'm happy just to keep for sentimental value if it's not worth much

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 12, 2014

Maybe US$200 or £150 (with VAT) in current condition.

Maybe a bit more if restored, but not enough to recoup your investment in the service.

These are not considered collectible pieces,
    gatorcpa

7. mav1919 Nov 12, 2014

Certainly not worth selling then, i'll keep it for sentiment. Thank you so much for your help

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 12, 2014

As suggested, 450 pounds is outrageous. There are other independent watchmakers who know their way around Omegas that could do it for much less than that, as long as a long stream of parts do not need to be replaced - such as Robert Reeves, Rytetime, and Watchguy UK, amongst others.

As it has sentimental value it would be nice to have it on the wrist from time to time ticking away.