Forums Latest Members

Help with identification of Vintage Omega Constellation

1. Zeng Nov 21, 2016

Hello guys,

I've recently bequeathed with a vintage omega constellation that my grandfather owned. Does not come with a box or papers as my grandfather bought it from a desperate gambler for about $100 back in the 1950s. Is anyone able to help my identify this watch and its value? The dial seems really dirty and I'm wondering if it's worth the money to restore it. The movement of the watch still works fine even though the watch hasn't been used in a really long while (might be years).

Another thing about that watch that puzzles me is the location of the crown. I did a search on constellations and noticed that most of the crowns are visible, whereas the crown is hidden beneath the 3 o'clock position on my piece.
    On another note, is anyone able to identify the bracelet? Seems like a replacement to me.

Thanks for your help!!

IMG_9592.JPG IMG_9594.JPG IMG_9602.JPG
    Edward53 and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 21, 2016

That's because yours is the correct, out of production, one :thumbsup:

Don't know the brand, but an after market bracelet, yes. Looks good, though!

rickyoung and Zeng like this.
  3. Vicke Nov 21, 2016

Nice watch, will probably look good after a cleaning.
    Have it serviced and cleaned by an independent watchmaker, shouldn't cost a fortune. Tell the forum where you live and you'll get suggestions on where to have it serviced.
    Wear it to remember your grandfather.

rickyoung, MPWATCH and Zeng like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 21, 2016

Zeng likes this.
  5. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 21, 2016

Since it uses certain wording, this is definitely a Constellation from the late 50s/60s. More information can be found out if you find a watchmaker to open the caseback to examine the movement calibre and serial, as well as the serial inside the caseback.

Value wise in this running condition? Around the $400-600 mark USD. However, the sentimental value from it coming from your grandfather is immeasurable.

My guess is that if you don't take it to service and keep wearing it, the oils inside the watch (if there are still any) will dry up very quickly and produce more friction...which will grind the gears and mechanism inside the watch more quickly rendering it broken and needing a hefty repair bill. Better to take it now for a service, and ask the watchmaker to keep the case and dial untouched. As for dial dirtiness, that's usually due to some moisture creeping in as well as exposure to the sun - it's not really cleanable, and if anything, shows people that the watch has history behind it.

P.S.A DO NOT SEND THE WATCH TO OMEGA TO BE SERVICED. Let us know your location and local forum members will be able to refer you to a dedicated and passionate watchmaker.

As @ConElPueblo has pointed out, you have the recessed, original-to-the-watch crown, which is exceedingly rare for most Constellations you see floating around for sale. Bracelet is generic; however, I'm sure there's a reason behind your grandfather putting it on the watch.

MPWATCH likes this.
  6. Edward53 Nov 21, 2016

That watch has clearly never been touched or messed about with. Don't worry about the spotting on the dial, as it is only minor and adds to that character vintage look, and any attempt to "restore" it will only devalue it. Collectors would far rather have a dial llke that than an immaculately refinished one and they can usually spot the difference. Just clean the exterior carefully and gently smooth out any scratches on the glass (which is actually plastic) - search and you will find tips for how to do this. The bracelet is not an Omega one but it looks fine and if it's always been on there, I'd leave it as part of the watch's history.

In short, you have a very nice watch there so look after it well! EDIT: I see my post crossed with the one above - we seem to be of a similar opinion and I agree on the additional points he made.

Edited Nov 21, 2016
    Zeng likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Nov 21, 2016

Oh, and by the way - the reference of your watch is either 168.010 or 168.004, depending og it having either 19mm or 18mm between the lugs.

Zeng likes this.
  8. Zeng Nov 21, 2016

Thank you everyone for your input! Greatly appreciated! I live in Singapore; are there any recommended watchmakers around here?

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 21, 2016

Congrats on your inherited Connie
    Almost certainly a 168.004
    Lugs on an .010 are a little further apart as @ConElPueblo says
    Definitely not 50's as it has a T on the dial
    So likely early to mid 60's
    And likely a 561 movement
    Have it serviced and you'll find out all the info inside as the others say
    Then wear it with pride

Zeng likes this.
  10. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Nov 21, 2016

Peemacgee got it, it is a 168.004 and it should have a 561 cal in it, probably from the mids 60's

Zeng likes this.