Forums Latest Members

Help with identification and fixing of I believe 1943-44 Bumper

1. Robert Hoffmann Mar 31, 2015

Hello guys,

I am new here, and I have the not-so-wonderful task of organizing all of my ancestors stuff, a myriad of boxes with random items.
    I found this Omega Automatic in dear need of a fix and most probably a new owner. My wife has constellations, but I am a Breitling guy unfortunately.

Is this a 1943 or 44 ? and I reckon it's gold, or is it "pink gold" ?
    Strap is missing and so is the Second hand.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. John R Smith Mar 31, 2015

Well, there is something very strange about the photos you have posted which have just brought my internet connection to its knees for the past 5 minutes ;)

The movement number indicates a date of 1943 at the latest, but this will often pre-date the watch itself which could therefore be 1944. This is Omega's first automatic movement, the cal 330 (30.10 RA PC AM 17p) with the exposed "bumper" springs. The watch looks very original and should be easy to restore and service - I do notice that the rotor bearings will need replacing. It certainly is gold, at 18k - a nice feature of these cases is the two-piece back. The case reference is OT 2374.

Best wishes, John

3. Robert Hoffmann Mar 31, 2015

Hi John,
    thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, the images are "png" and really large (it comes like that out of my scanner), and some browsers don't like them much.

As far as the watch is concerned, do you recommend me taking it directly to Omega in Switzerland next time I visit ? (sometime this summer). And how much do you think they will charge me for a fix ? I guess the glass also needs replaced as its scratched somewhat too.
    But I don't know exactly what to tell them. i.e. if I want to sell it, a nice service and insert a new seconds arm, and leave the rest as is ... due to its originality status ? or should I make them change the glass, the armband axles, etc ? i.e. make it "like new" ?

4. John R Smith Mar 31, 2015

Do not take the watch to Omega, or to an Omega boutique. They will rebuild the watch "like new", and replace the dial, hands, and crown. You need a sympathetic watchmaker who will just service the movement, replace the second hand and crystal, and keep the rest original and correct. However, if you do not intend to keep the watch, I would simply sell it on eBay as it stands and let a serious collector sort it out as it should be done.

5. Robert Hoffmann Mar 31, 2015

Much appreciated. I understand.