Forums Latest Members

Help with ID: Vintage Omega Cal. 30 (not 30T2), I think?

1. alexey66 May 21, 2017

Dear all,

My first post, although I have been a longtime lurker in the forum. Great forum and I read a lot when the Speedy Tuesday Special Edition came out. I'm one of the lucky ones to have secured my reservation which would have been my first Omega. It will be my second one now ;-)

I have been deployed by work for a couple of months and upon arriving in my new city of deployment see this cute watch shop with a friendly older watchmaker. One of the watches out for sale was (long story short, I bought the watch) this beautiful Omega. After I saw it I went to try and identify it, so far to no avail.
    What I have gathered so far:
    1. I believe it is a caliber 30 watch, predecessor to the 30T2, hand wound and built from 1939 to 1944?
    2. The form of the hour watch hand is called pontife.

That is about all I could figure out so far. The watchmaker said that all parts are original and he had just serviced it.
    Well, he didn't need much persuasion anyway.

I am very happy with this find, but If there is more information on this watch, I would be very happy to hear about it.
    Here are some pictures.

Kind regards to all and thank you in advance for any help or pointers!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Giff2577 likes this.
  2. mac_omega May 21, 2017

all looks original - except the crown maybe - can´t tell for sure from this angle of view...

serial numbers speak for a cal. 30

alexey66 and François Pépin like this.
  3. Oku May 21, 2017

Nice watch! I wonder why he didn't remove the rust from the caseback when servicing the watch...
    What size ist it?
    Personally, I like those Staybrite cases.
    Concerning the year I would vote for 1939/1940 as my 30T1 starts with 91 and my 30T2 with 93.

alexey66 likes this.
  4. alexey66 May 22, 2017

Thank you for the replies so far.
    Good to know it seems to be an all original Omega.
    I don't have anything at hand to measure size correctly, but it must be about 36 mm or just a bit less.
    It was a spur of the moment and my first real vintage watch buy, so mistakes, I guess, happen. I'll make sure to check better concerning the rust next time or even bring back the watch.

What can be said about the cal. 30? I didn't seem to find much here in the forum or on the Internet. Some links referred to military watches, but I doubt this one is?
    And does anybody know anything about the hour hand. Is it just a style, this pontife hand?

5. Oku May 22, 2017

That is not necessary. I just wonder why a watchmaker states that he serviced a watch but lets the rust on case and caseback. If I were you, I would bring the watch to my watchmaker and let it be checked by him. I would not trust that the watch has been serviced.

Concerning the cal. 30, many people just name any caliber of the family 30T2 as it is the most famous one and cal. 30 is its predecessor. I once read a nice article on the internet about these calibers but unfortunately I cannot find it now. Did you find this one:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/lets-see-some-30mm-manual-wind-omegas.1546/

alexey66 likes this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 22, 2017

7. alexey66 May 25, 2017

Thank you so much for your replies and pointers. The link from hoipolloi is quite extensive, but I think I'm starting to get a grip of what I actually bought :)

8. Vitezi May 25, 2017

Love those hands. ::love::

alexey66 likes this.
  9. alexey66 May 25, 2017

The hands was what got me first in this watch. Do you know something about those hands? Is there a reason/story or was it a "style" during those years?

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 25, 2017

Love that type of hands, too. Here's mine with 30t2 SC version.
    20170525_153545.jpg

alexey66 and Vitezi like this.