Forums Latest Members
  1. gafa Oct 13, 2016

Hello all, this is my first post on these forums. I've read quite a bit of threads and am begining to get a grasp on some concepts, but would like to ask your help on something - unfortunately my father recently passed away and I inherited his Speedmaster Moonwatch. Now I have absolutely no info on the watch, besides that it was most likely bought between '69 and '74 (according to my mother's info). He wore it pretty much all the time, so the condition is not great, and the bracelet has been replaced once due to damage. What I'd like help on, is identifying it. Every watch shop I take it (even omega brand ones) refuse to open it and always say they'll send it back to Omega for technical assistance. Thing is, the watch is functioning perfectly well (wearing it for sentimental value for some weeks and hasn't skip a beat, always accurate afaik).

Is it possible to identify without opening it? Here are some pictures, I used some polywatch to take out some minor scratches but it still has several deep ones (how can I take those out?)

Thanks for any replies, regards
    gafa

IMAG0275.jpg IMAG0276.jpg IMAG0277.jpg IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0280.jpg IMAG0281.jpg
    m84 likes this.
  2. BobXX Oct 13, 2016

3. BobXX Oct 13, 2016

To remove deeper scratches from the crystal, you can try using ultra-fine sandpaper (over 1,000 grit). You can pick some up online or from an auto supply store.

Lightly sand it using water, and then follow it up with polishing paste.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 13, 2016

I urge you to service it.

It looks great.

Tell us where in the world you are and I am sure locals will recommend a sympathetic watchmaker.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 13, 2016

Also tell us the number on the bracelet clasp and number on end links and we can tell you if that is a bracelet that would have been issued with the watch.

It's a straight writing, -69* on space fruits Speedmaster101.com web site.

6. Davidt Oct 13, 2016

Yep. Reference No is 145.022-69.

It was probably sold in 70 or 71.

As well as the sentimental value it also has significant monetary value. As it may not have been serviced in decades, a service and clean would be advisable.

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 13, 2016

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 13, 2016

Means a watchmaker that will service the watch while maintaining originality. Don't send the watch to Omega in Switzerland.
    Originality=$$$$

gafa and Taddyangle like this.
  9. gafa Oct 13, 2016

First of all thanks for the info, now I know which reference it is :)

Thanks, I like it more each day. I live in Lisbon, Portugal.

I know the bracelet wasn't issued with the watch, my mother had the original replaced (since it broke) on my dad's birthday some years ago. The current one reads on the clasp "32 Stainless Steel Omega 1171/1" with an Omega symbol next to it, and the end link has "633" engraved.

Thanks again for all the help,
    gafa

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 13, 2016

Even though the bracelet is a replacement, it is a version they released with that watch model.

You have a wonderful heirloom. Get it serviced and enjoy it. It's one you can pass down to your children.

11. gafa Oct 14, 2016

In regards to servicing it (I'd say the last time my father had it cleaned/maintenance was about 20 years ago), from what I gather sending it to Omega technical assistance is not worth it, but how can I find a trustworthy watchmaker to ask for a service?

12. jv91 Oct 14, 2016

this might seem like a dumb question, but why would Omega be a bad option to service this or other vintage watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 14, 2016

Omega in Beine, Switzerland will go through the watch and replace what they think is needed to bring the watch to a "like new" condition. This may include replacing the dial, bezel and refinishing the case. The three main components that give most of the value to a vintage watch. Currently a vintage "dot over ninety" bezel in decent condition may be worth about $2000. Omega might replace that bezel with a new one that cost about $300. Looks good, worth less. Same would be true for a dial replacement.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 14, 2016

Because using the brand service center, you have little to no control over what happens. They believe that what they determine to be right, is right, and your wishes are secondary (at best).

For example, if you prefer to keep the original pushers or crown, because they are worth more or you simply like them more, and are willing to live without any water resistance, well too bad - Omega will insist on replacing them or decline the service.

If you have cracked lume in a nice tritium hand, they will simply walk to a drawer and get a new Luminova hand, rather than stabilize the lume in the existing hand and use it again.

There have been isolated instances where people have had extraordinary communication with Omega, and managed to keep things original, but my opinion this is somewhat of an illusion. If vintage parts were kept on the watch, you can be sure Omega thought they were fine to begin with - if Omega really thought parts should be replaced to adhere to their policies, then really the only option is to agree, or they send the watch back without doing the service.

For modern watches, the only concern is the quality of work, but with vintage its that plus the lack of respect for the watch owner's wishes.

Cheers, Al

jv91 likes this.
  15. jv91 Oct 14, 2016

oh thanks for the information Al! don't have any real vintage watches (just a seamaster 300 reissue and a new mark ii) but it's good to know for the future, have my eye on some nice vintage pieces!

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 14, 2016

Taddyangle and jv91 like this.
  17. jv91 Oct 14, 2016

thanks!