Forums Latest Members
  1. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Hi,
    I have a 145.012-67 that I bought a couple of months ago, I think it looks very nice but when I showed it in a Swedish watch-forum (klocksnack.se) I got comments that it is a nice watch but that all the hands must have been replaced sometime after 1968 (I ordered an "Extract from the Archive" which says that it was produced April 30 1968). I have attached some pictures and I hope that you will give me your sincere comments about the hands :) I did an "acid-test", I shined the watch in a dark room with a flashlight (well, actually the flashlight in an iPhone 7) for a half minute or so. When I then observed the watch the shine from the hands and the indexes faded away in the same pace. With a half-life of 12 years one can come to the conclusion that the hands must be lured with tritium and that they cannot be so much younger than the watch, or? Well, here are som picture of the watch:
    IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    Looking forward to your comments, how harsh they ever will be :)
    All the best,
    Hans

smitty190373 likes this.
  2. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 4, 2016

Can you post some pics of it in the dark, no flash, after charging it?

Hans the Wolf likes this.
  4. GBTRIUMPH Nov 4, 2016

Handsome watch! It could be that everything is original. The material/substance beneath the tritium paint may provide
    a different background and effect vis-a-vis dial vs hands. Additionally, it may be the original watch elements were designed to be slightly different. I personally like the watch because its very easy to read.

oddboy and Hans the Wolf like this.
  5. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Here you go, charged the dial and hands for some 30-45 seconds or so. Did not measure the time between the shots but I think it was some 5-10 secs between them:
    IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG

6. JohnSteed Nov 4, 2016

Hi @Hans the Wolf your handset seems fine and the hands set you show seems newer, so not a solution in my mind. I'm also guessing people are looking at the colour of the hour markers, comparing with your hand set...Well, they may (or may not) have a point, but you have the watch. I think it's likely your hands are original to the watch too as they generally seem in character with the watch.

If you have additional photos as suggested by @oddboy then he and others can get a better sense of what your'e seeing.

Do you know the history of the watch too, of any work generally?

Very nice watch you have :thumbsup:

wsfarrell and Hans the Wolf like this.
  7. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Thank you :) I personally like the watch very much, just got a bit upset when somebody here in Sweden thought that the hands have been replaced...

8. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Thanks a lot for your kind words :) I have posted some pictures of the watch in the dark after charging it as you can see above. All I know is that it was produced April 30 1968 and that it was delivered to Sweden. The last owner said that he bought it from a friend that had it stored in a bank safe the last 20 years. I had the watch serviced by a local watchmaker here in Stockholm Sweden two weeks ago (I did not dare Omega Switzerland to service it ::censored::), he only cleaned/oiled the movement, replaced the gaskets (is this the correct English word?) for the pushers and replaced the shaft (again, is this the correct English word?) for the hour-register that was broken.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  9. GBTRIUMPH Nov 4, 2016

The little sub-dial hands seem to match the large hands in color, the lume material glow matches in color...
    Tell the clowns its a one 1 of 1 limited edition upgrade. I hope they aren't friends of yours.
    God Bless you. Enjoy that handsome, easy to read, understated watch.

10. JohnSteed Nov 4, 2016

Check out speedmaster101 too (written by a member here). By the way, I think the new hands you referenced on ebay is also by an OF member

11. GBTRIUMPH Nov 4, 2016

I'm in Texas and understand everything you wrote perfectly. But then, I may not know the correct words. ;)

12. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Thank you all for taking your time answering my questions about the hands of my watch :) It is late here in Sweden now so I have to go to bed now, will check this thread tomorrow to see if some more posts have dropped in during the (Swedish) night :)

All the best,
    Hans

13. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

BTW, here is a picture of the caseback:
    IMG_0010.jpg

14. Hans the Wolf Nov 4, 2016

Not finished for the night yet :D Bought the hands from eBay, guess they might come in handy some day :) Always good to have some replacement parts at hand :)

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 4, 2016

Very nice watch. The hands and plots appear to match. I'd vote original. Really nice. Enjoy!

Good move grabbing the hands too. Those ebay hands are super luminova, but always good to have spares. Especially the subdial hands, they sometimes get wrecked when coming off for service.

16. abrod520 Nov 4, 2016

I have a feeling they were referring to the flat-end chrono hand, not the lume. The flat end wasn't regularly fitted to the Speedmaster until the 145.022-68, but some later 145.012-67 models probably were fitted with them. Since yours was produced in 1968, I would assume that the flat-end hand is likely original

shane0mack and Hans the Wolf like this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 4, 2016

Invite them here so we can all discuss. :)

18. Cal_321 Nov 5, 2016

Hello, I got two mint, near NOS 145.012 (never serviced or opened before) . 2601xxx has a drop end chronosecond, the 2654xxx has a flat end. I personally don't think, there was a sharp cut in serial numbers when Omega used the flatend one. Refer to Williams site, there's a pic of both watches. Best, Ralph

19. Hans the Wolf Nov 5, 2016

Well, no one mentioned the flat-end chrono, they thought that all the hands were too white to be almost 50 yo. I have been told by the former owner that the owner before him had the watch stored in a bank vault the last 20 years, could it be that the hands did not change color because they were not exposed to any light for such a long time?

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  20. Hans the Wolf Nov 5, 2016

Thanks for your kind words :) I must admit that I overreacted when I bought the hands from eBay :( I was upset about the discussion here in Sweden about the hands of my watch, frankly spoken I was not totally sober either... I did not realise that they were not tritium ones, very ::censored:: stupid of me :( I must reassure you that I will never replace tritium hands with super lumina ones :D Do not know what to do with the hands I bought from eBay, this is the first time I regret I buy there, is there anyway to cancel it?