Forums Latest Members
  1. Goldilocks Apr 28, 2017

I have inherited this old watch which I intend to have restored - new gold lugs (replacing the contemporary retractable number), lead soldering removed, replacement glass (existing one badly crazed but not cracked or chipped). Any ideas as to age? Also, thoughts about having the face re-done?

20170404_181649.jpg
  2. Willem023 Apr 28, 2017

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 28, 2017

I am at a total loss at how to respond.

4. Willem023 Apr 28, 2017

I really can not imagine.... :whistling:

But to the OP: is this what you are after?

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-28 om 13.48.58.png

kkt and efauser like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 28, 2017

C'mon guys - play nice
    New member asking for some help
    OP presumably you means spring bar not lugs?
    Take some more photos of the watch
    Back and sides for starters
    If you can get the back removed -preferably by a watchmaker - then also pics of the movement and inner case back
    You'll get a lot more help then
    If it's an original dial - then as a vintage forum it's usually frowned upon to repaint a dial - but that's a personal choice

6. StrutlessWonder Apr 28, 2017

I suspect 1930s to 1950s era. More pictures as mentioned above will be helpful.

Sympathetically restoring it to a functional state so you may wear it and smile while thinking of your grandpa is a nice tribute to him. It will cost more than the watch is worth. Redoing the dial will destroy the collector value of the watch and will take away the very dial your grandfather looked at every day for many years. But it is your watch and you may do as you wish.

Here's a Gruen watch an 88 yo friend bought new in 1941, wore for years until it broke, then gave to me because he knew I liked old watches. Although it was free, I paid 3x its value to sympathetically restore it, and when I wore it on a visit with him, his reaction was priceless--he was nearly in tears. It still looks they way it looked when he wore it, and I think of him each time it is on my wrist.

Before:
    IMG_0151.JPG

After
    IMG_1987.JPG

R3D9 and noelekal like this.
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 28, 2017

I understand all of the above, but I'd maybe take issue with the statement "the very dial your grandfather looked at every day for many years" At one time this was a new watch, possibly purchased as such by the grandfather. It certainly did not look like it does now back then. In fact, unless it was worn every day, I'd speculate that at some point the owner might have decided it was no longer attractive, stopped wearing it and consigned it to the sock drawer or similar. I came across three vintage watches my late father stopped wearing for that very reason. I had them restored to a condition as close to new as possible, kept one and passed the other two to my brothers who regularly wear them.

Still, I'm not a collector and was not concerned with "collector" resale values.

8. Goldilocks Apr 28, 2017

Yes, it's fabulous, isn't it? (My watch, that is.) The pic of your stunningly perfect watch (earlier photo) is magnificent but I dont expect a watch that sat untouched in an alternately dusty and rain-soaked shed for 40 years to look like that. When you live in the outback of Australia you don't have master jewellers down the road when something needs repair. I suspect the watch was not considered practical in its day. Aesthetics would not have been a factor. The Gruen, however, I think is the look I'm after. All things considered, despite the photo, my watch is in remarkably good nick, notwithstanding the crude repairs. For a start, it works! The glass is crazed but otherwise not damaged. The internal workings are apparently good. I will take more pics but it is with a jeweller now for work on the rose gold. He hasn't yet dated it from the numbers. He deals with antique watches and said this one was earlier than the 40s which is what I had initially thought. Going by the age of my grandfather, it would need to be 1920s. I appreciate your comments on re-doing the dial. Value is not relevant to me but I will wait for the servicing and decide then if I feel the dial needs doing. The watchmaker, who has the replacement glass (and, upon finding it in his drawer, said I should go out and buy a lottery ticket) said the dial was just about right and he did not recommend anything in that respect. One thing I do need is the rose gold crown, if anyone can help.