Forums Latest Members
  1. Baden Harrison Sep 12, 2017

I picked this up recently it's a 2990-1 Ranchero with a very unusual layout.

I've seen 2990-1 seamasters with no ranchero and no numerals but this has Ranchero 30mm no numerals just batons.

Gold hands usually used on dress seamaster models.

I've shown it around a few guys on here and a few omega experts they all verify its a ranchero but I cannot find another? well actually ive found a linen dialed one with all the same features but linen dial on hodinkee so the search is narrowing.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...with-rose-gold-linen-dial?variant=32281377988

The dial has some serious patina and it has been stored away for 30 years in a drawer.

The guy I purchased it from knew his dad had knocked tge crown off nearly 40 years ago and he had got water under tge dial around then too.

I'd like too find the correct crown too.

Help me find some reference for this model before I go bonkers lol

Thanks for looking Baden

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rman Sep 12, 2017

Not sure what mystery you're trying to solve.
    The reference is 2990-1.
    If you search Seamaster 2990-1 you will see many Seamasters with this dial, the fact that it is marked Ranchero makes it more unusual but many of these were "transformed" into SeaMasters. I would wager that your hands are incorrect and should be more substantial with an hour hand with a larger lume plot as are commonly seen. The crown is findable with some persistence and may even be available from Cousins or the like.
    IMG_6181.PNG

3. Rman Sep 12, 2017

In addition, you may have a redial there.
    The sub seconds dial doesn't look correct for the reference and your other photos and the dial deterioration make it difficult to tell about the rest of the printing.

4. Baden Harrison Sep 12, 2017

Here's a better picture sorry it's night so the light isn't perfect.
    I've got no reason too suspect it's a redial.
    There's so many scratches on the dial and the flaked paint at the 12 batons gives it a misaligned look but when square on under a small magnification loupe it's perfect.

Everything lines up perfectly the Ranchero script is exactly the same as other gold plated models especially the letter R that is tighter at the back and a bigger curve too the belly of the R.
    Most redials ive seen tend too copy the back and white dial font.

I'll try and get some better pictures in the day light.

Thanks for the input guys I'm just intrigued about this model it's more of a why did this model exist question or was it a lucky escape it didn't end up a seamaster.

[​IMG]

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 13, 2017

You have a 2990. These came in a few dial layouts (as with many Omega watches) and yours has a less common design. I think the dial is original, but as mentioned previously, the hands may be replacements.

The example you found on Hodinkee has what is according to the Omega museum a sample dial that was made by one of Omegas contractors but was never approved for production.