Forums Latest Members

Help with Front Loader 1200

1. droc6 Dec 23, 2017

I picked up this when buying some watch repair tools. He threw in container of junk watches. In there I found the link below (along with a zodiac seawolf). I wasn't sure what Longines was inside, and it is front loading (1200 wrench). I opened it with my seiko S-14 crystal compression wrench, and aligned the two piece stem and removed the movement. It is a 280. Anyway, a long screw came out when the movement was tilted. This appears to have fallen out from the movement spacer and is somehow involved in securing the movement. I returned it to its home (there was another still seated. I'm not clear on how the movement is secured to the case because although the two piece stem is engaged, the movement is tilting on the other side and not secured but is fully seated. Just checking if anybody has worked on this style that can offer a tip?? (I'm thinking those screws need to be proud of the movement ring to catch the lip, but just a guess). The crystal is back on the watch and the movement is moving around a bit. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 23, 2017

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2017

No help sorry, haven't had one of these apart.

4. droc6 Dec 23, 2017

Thanks for replying anyway! It may apply to other longines movements that have one piece cases. Could be a piece missing. When I've done front loading seiko lord-matics there was a clamping case spring on the dial side since you can't access the traditional case clamps on train side. At this point, I figured I'd pull the hands and break it down for cleaning. It turned out the long stud screw that was loose in the case is was a misplaced dial screw, so I'm still not clear how it locks back in the case. It really is a beautiful movement though!

5. argonbeam Dec 23, 2017

280 a good movement. Along with the Zodiac, not bad catch for "extras". I've always let my watch maker deal with my front-loading Longines (the 1200 and 1260 cases), but sounds like you have the tool and experience not to ruin things outright like I probably would.