Forums Latest Members

Help with first vintage watch?

1. wavey May 20, 2017

Hello everyone, its nearly my birthday and i have my head set on some sort of decent watch, maybe an entry into some of the better manufacturers but also something i can keep for years and still have it run perfectly and i guess thats why im here :) The budget is around £450(~$590), willing to go up to £550(~$720) if its really worth it so obviously nothing super renowned but hopefully it'll let me get something decent enough to have as a keeper, im young so i dont really have any way of getting extra cash but if anyone has any recommendations of anything better suited to my budget then im all for it.

I dont really know much about omega apart from the usual "watch that went to the moon", "james bond watch" and a few models so im a bit lost when looking at lots of the vintage stuff. I know that deville is generally a series reccomended to people trying to have an affordable way into the brand but i was wondering if there is anything better, or if i should try and wait for somesort of seamaster (something more iconic/tried and tested?). Apart from that i think i like the dynamic stuff (is this womens?) although im not sure where i can find reliable prices etc on those, and the style of the speedmaster mark 3s (which are obviously out of my budget).

35mm will fit me fine and probably looking at an automatic or quartz? Ive read that mechanical can be a bit sensitive to environment and a lot of mixed pros and cons, although if anyone here can convince me then im willing to listen :)
    Probably somesort of circle or oval with preferably a date, rather than any extra features. Would also prefer it to be waterproof as hopefully ill be using it as a daily thing and i dont really want to have to worry about that just yet.

Thanks in advance, feel free to ask anything else you may need!

2. jumpingsecond May 20, 2017

if someone only gave me this advice when i was looking at getting my 1st watch-
    ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE!

trackpad and Fritz like this.
  3. wavey May 20, 2017

well thats p foreboading :( what did i do wrong

4. Kmart May 20, 2017

He just means that once you get your first vintage watch, it can turn into an addiction...

I'd just say don't rush into it. There's a lot of great vintage Omegas that come up for sale in the $500-700 range. Keep an eye on the forums until one comes along that speaks to you, then get it.

R3D9 and jumpingsecond like this.
  5. wavey May 20, 2017

okay cheers, am i correct in thinking i should just stick to here and thewatchforums rather than ebay ?

6. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2017

Welcome along!

Maybe look at an Omega Chronostop Geneve - should be some in your budget.

Waterproof and vintage watches don't normally go hand in hand... so if you need something to get wet, maybe put £30-£50 aside and get a Casio or Swatch too, to be your beater.

Togri v. 2.0 and chanbar like this.
  7. jumpingsecond May 20, 2017

Ha sry you did nothing wrong. Just a fair warning this will lead you down a long tumultuous path with heartbreak and joy, a path that never ends. One will lead to another and so on.

On a personal note- I like mechanical better than quartz. Quartz will be more accurate but mech. Is so finely engineered that it should be accurate enough and hopefully if steered in the right direction with the right watch - should be able to pass down to your next generation. Others here will likely be more eloquent in explaining why mechanical is so stirring. Something about the detail, artistry and engineering behind it that fills me with wonder. It may be old machinery but for me its still amazing technology. A bunch of gears, springs, wheels working energetically together to give you the time of day with precision & beauty. Whatever you get - make sure it makes you marvel when you look at it.

chanbar likes this.
  8. wavey May 20, 2017

ill add that on the list of stuff to check out, and fair point about the waterproofing, but does that mean you have to be pretty strict on hand washing and other seemingly low risk tasks?
    I have a cyma (i think its a cheap frankein or something i cant find anything about it on google...) for beating which was one of the reasons i figured i want something a bit nicer

9. wavey May 20, 2017

yeah i was recommended a glycine (combat sub?) and was told that it should do everything that i want, but im a bit on edge because i dont want to spend the money and then realize i dont like the watch a few months later.
    Do the mech options have to be taken in more often ( 7 years?) to get tuned or whatever if they are knocked about a lot? and if i go vintage surely an old mechanical watch is more likely to conk out during its lifetime with me, esp if im going to use it as much as i can?

10. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2017

Before you spend any money, irk out a list of watches you'd like to own.

Ebay can be a good place to start, set a price limit, search for mechanical watches, make not of the ones you like.

Then go research the hell out of those watches, learn everything you can, until you know how to spot a good from a bad.

At this point you're ready to start spending... and you'll have seen enough watches to know what you like, what it should look like, and how much it should cost.

Happy hunting.

Davidt, Foo2rama and wavey like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2017

Or show us some pictures of what you like. We might be able to point you in the right direction. Ignore brands and prices for this.

12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 20, 2017

You mentioned the Omega Dynamic as one that you like.

You asked if they were made for women, I'm not sure if they did.

The look of the Dynamic changed a bit over the years... after the 70's, but I do like mine:

Photo Apr 24, 1 01 02 PM.jpg
    A good one would probably land at the upper end of the price range you mentioned.

I wouldn't limit yourself to a single model or line just yet.

I will second @Foo2rama 's suggestion that you show us pics of what you prefer...

Edited May 20, 2017
    Croweater, Kmart and Foo2rama like this.
  13. wavey May 20, 2017

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 20, 2017

If I were you, I would monitor the listings here in 'Private Sales' for at least a few weeks, researching the internet on those that interest you. You can trust these listings, because the moderators and the members are very good at making sure you have reputable seller's with accurate descriptions of original watches. Then be sure to ask the seller questions.., and certainly other members here...

Ebay is a veritable minefield; most definitely not a good place for a new-to-vintage buyer.

Edited May 20, 2017
    wavey likes this.
  15. chanbar May 20, 2017

i think it depends on the watch. I personally prefer the automatics over a quartz. I like the mechanics and the beauty of the movement and like listening to it in the quiet when the kids are asleep. There are a lot of quality starter Swiss automatics that has a real classic look to it that fits within your budget. You can wear it for years. Check out Tissot, Alpina, Hamilton. I like Frederique Constant as well. All makes great entry starters.

wavey likes this.
  16. chanbar May 20, 2017

I thought you need 200 posts before being able to purchase/comment on the purchasing on the forum?

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2017

Chronos with a 70's vibe or modern with vintage feel. You seem to be attracted to larger watches.

With the exception of the dynamic ( the oval) I can't really think of anything in your price range that looks like that. Unless you want to go vintage Seiko.

wavey likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2017

You can PM sellers. Their choice to respond if you have less then 200, I got my first watch from this forum with less then 200.

Heston69, Kmart, wavey and 1 other person like this.
  19. jumpingsecond May 20, 2017

I agree that ebay may not be the best place until you know the ins and outs of what you want which takes some experience. Also re. The watch's durability- if you want everyday wear with sports and water Mech./auto is fine in a solid dive watch. My first watch was a dive bc it can both look classy and still be used without worry. Some of the movements behind the vintage divers are absolutely robust and can take a beating. Just think a seamaster from the 60s can run so precisely today. There are some very strong movements behind myriad divers that should be able to handle everyday life without too much attention but theres so many brands its difficult to recommend one and I also dont know enough about them myself. I love the seamaster. If you like lume check out ball. Also seiko is a long standing solid watchmaker. Alot depends how vintage you want to go. Try to get a recently serviced watch (with proof) and make sure to ask how its running at time of sale.

chanbar and Foo2rama like this.
  20. chanbar May 20, 2017

Ball watches have great Lyme especially now with the gas tubes