Forums Latest Members
  1. thickman Jun 5, 2018

I am new to vintage watches and this forum. I would appreciate OF members input on this watch. This is my first post asking about the condition of a watch, so please let me know if I am missed something.

My observations of the watch in question, a CK2141, are as follows:

Dial: The dial is clean, perhaps too clean. There is some small damage around the subdial and a chip close to the 11. There is no Swiss Made on the dial; but during the 30's and early 40's many did not have Swiss Made on the dial, and therefore is accurate for the era. The Omega has the cut off A; but during this era the A was done by the dial maker and both the cut off A and the full A are acceptable. The only worrying sign I see is just how amazing the dial appears to be.

Hands: The hands look unworn, are not broken, and seem to be the correct length for the dial.

Case: Sharp and clean with no signs of polishing. The case does appear to be NOS.

Crown: Correct for the era with no logo.

Buckle: The buckle appears period correct. It contains the appropriate marks on the back side and no logo on the clasp.

Case Back: Markings are correct with Swiss Made, Omega logo, and case serial number. Case number matches the extract. Appears to be correct to my untrained eye.

Movement: The R17.8 Movement has not been serviced according to the seller. I have verified the look of the movement with the pink pages (ranfft.de). When I zoom in on the photo the two smaller gear wheels look very aged. It has all of its screws holding it in and I see no signs of damage or harsh wear. One concern, as stated above, is that the picture is clearly different from the ones the seller has taken. However, the serial number matches the extract. Movement will need a service, but otherwise looks appropriate.

The watch was listed on Chrono24 via a private seller (https://www.chrono24.com/omega/ck-2141--id6851041.htm). I know I should have asked here before I purchased, but I did use the escrow, so if something is seriously amiss I should be able to recoup my money. The watch will be for my wife (https://omegaforums.net/threads/need-advice-on-purchasing-vintage-ladies-omegas.75829/). The seller has responded to all of my emails and sent me pictures of everything I have requested, except an additional picture of the movement. The seller states that he does not have the necessary experience to open the case back. The story of this particular watch is that it was delivered to his grandfather’s watch shop in Finland and never sold.

Overall, I feel like this is a great watch with an amazing story. Price is not the issue ($1,150 USD). My concerns are the condition and genuineness of the watch, and I have been unable to find anything online about a CK2141. As the saying goes, if it is too good to be true, it probably is.

So, OF members, what did I miss and did I make a mistake?

Thank you again!

DSCN3093.JPG DSCN1887 (2).JPG 001 (2).JPG 003 (1).JPG DSCN3094.JPG 6851041d_xxl.jpg
  2. rkman11 Jun 5, 2018

I agree the dial looks too clean...

3. bubba48 Jun 5, 2018

Original dial IMO; sharp edges of the subdial and condition consistent with the rest of the watch (case and movement)

thickman likes this.
  4. Rman Jun 5, 2018

Second the dial is original, hands probably original (known pairing). Not sure about the crown but nice watch.

thickman likes this.
  5. Dan S Jun 5, 2018

I would feel better if I could find another example of this reference. But honestly, I can't see anything wrong with this watch just based on my visual observations.

thickman likes this.
  6. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 5, 2018

I like it, but what the hell do I know.

sat968 and thickman like this.
  7. rkman11 Jun 5, 2018

If other's feel it's all good, then the price seems like a great deal to me.

thickman likes this.
  8. thickman Jun 5, 2018

Thank you for the feedback! Glad to know there isn't something I totally missed.

@Dan S I agree that I would feel better if I could find another example of the reference. That was one of the issues making me very hesitant on the purchase. I have looked at the few advertisements and catalogs I could find online from the era, but I can't find this reference.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 5, 2018

I believe that buckle is original to the time period, if not the actual watch.

I like the presentation with the box (which is not original).
    gatorcpa

thickman likes this.
  10. thickman Jun 5, 2018

@gatorcpa I agree! I like the presentation box too, but the box is newer than the watch and not correct for the time period.

11. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 5, 2018

Hi, very nice one. Dial is really beautiful, and this is not common as on the earlt R17.8, Omega, they usually deteriorate (I suppose the lacquer used wasn't lasting well). The band may be period correct, I have a very similar one on a T17.

merchandiser and thickman like this.
  12. thickman Jun 5, 2018

Thank you @Tire-comedon. I have read this forum long enough to know that you are one of the members people rely on for information regarding obscure early Omegas.