Forums Latest Members
  1. Artifice Aug 17, 2016

Hello Gents!

Firstly, I am fairly new to this forum. I just came across this forum while searching for a vintage timepiece that I plan to get for myself. I am also a member of the WatchUseek forum but I don't post much there, I just mostly lurk and read.

It has been a while since I have been looking for a vintage watch and I finally found something that caught my eye. A 1962 Omega Seamaster 30 in Stainless. I must admit though that I still lack lots of knowledge on vintage timepieces especially on Omegas or any other vintage timepiece. So please bear with me if I have some questions and cannot understand some of the terms you guys might be using.

The watch is listed for $950. Is that a good buy for this watch? I, myself think that it is on the expensive side but I want to know what you guys think.

Also, some questions.

1.) This will be my first manual wind watch if ever I go through with the purchase. So I would like to ask you guys for advice on how to take care of it. I know there are a lot of links on the internet and ive read through some of them but it would also be nice to get some advice from you guys.

e.g. Do I wind it up everyday? Are there any specific number of winds that I have to wind it? Should I be afraid of overwinding it? Will this be fairly easy to have a local watch maker service the watch? etc.

2.) Is this a good buy for the price? I can't really tell if the watch has been redialed or whatnot. Or should I go look for a similar one on eBay and have it restored?

3.) What does cal. 561 or cal. 461 mean? Are those the movements of the watch? What is a good movement for an Omega? Not really familiar with the this aspect of the watch.

4.) How accurate are these types of vintage watches?

5.) Are there any questions I should ask the seller before I purchase the watch?

I have lots of other questions but my brain isnt working properly right now. Might edit some in later.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

Thank you very much!
    Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited Aug 18, 2016
  2. Artifice Aug 17, 2016

Some clearer pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't the caseback supposed to have a logo? Or it doesnt with this model?

Note from the seller:

Here is a very attractive and collectible vintage Omega Seamaster 30. This piece is all original and in excellent condition. The case is made of solid stainless steel and measures 35mm across excluding crown by 41mm lug tip to lug tip. A new case back gasket has been fitted. Case model is 135.003 - 62 SC. Original signed crown. Original signed crystal. The original dial is truly stunning showing signs of patina and age spots. The fully serviced manual wind movement is working accurately. 17 jewels movement is Omega caliber 286. Movement serial number is 195258310 dating this watch to 1962. Will come with a new matching high grade handmade genuine leather strap.

Edited Aug 18, 2016
  3. mac_omega Aug 18, 2016

The watch is fine

The seller´s description is correct and honest

IMO the price is way too high

hope this helps with your decision

ConElPueblo and Artifice like this.
  4. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

I am quite new to this whole thing just like you, so take what I say with huge grain of salt. I think price wise it is too high. This is a Cal 286 and looking at other Seamaster 30s with same caliber, they sold for $300-$600 (with some exceptions) Do eBay completed search for "Seamaster 30" and see what I mean.

Cal 561 or 461 or 286 represent movement that is inside the watch. Some movements are manual winding, some are automatic (some are battery powered, but not found for really old watches (I dont think) As mentioned one you posted has cal 286. Which ones are better, I have no idea really. I think they should all be about the same from that same era, but I could be completely wrong (I will let someone who actually knows their stuff let you know)

5. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

I understand, Thank you!

6. Perrier Aug 18, 2016

This is my advice.

You are not ready to buy a vintage watch. You need to do a lot more reading before you can understand the pros / cons / weirdness of owning an old watch.

I understand you are excited about this watch, but there are literally millions of vintage watches and another nice one will be around the corner.

I'd take a breather and move slowly on this.

Edward53, Mothra and Artifice like this.
  7. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

I won't argue with you there that I need a lot of reading and researching. I just mostly look at 'post pictures of your vintage watch' threads and the Omega was the one that caught my eye.

Can you point me in the direction where I can read up some more about vintage watches?

8. Perrier Aug 18, 2016

I'd just read posts here. Lots of knowledgeable folk with strong opinions on things.

IMO it's better to pay more for a great vintage watch than less for an 'ok' one.

I'd also be super careful about where / who you buy the watch from. There are a lot of scammers out there. Basically they put fake / incorrect parts in old watches. So make sure you always get lots of pictures of the movement (the machine inside the watch) and compare them to what the real movement should look like.

You also want to be sure the seller tells you of any blemishes or issues with the watch, so you have the options of getting a PayPal refund if it turns out they scammed you (which, sadly, is more likely than less likely).

Oh yeah, make sure you purchase the watch via PayPal. :) Buyers protection + less risk of the person scamming you (why exactly do they want bank transfer only?)

I'd avoid buying from stores unless you are absolutely certain you know what you're doing.

Edward53 and Artifice like this.
  9. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

Artifice likes this.
  10. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

The watch is shipping from Canada. I am actually buying from qualityvintagetimepieces[dot]com (not sure if I am allowed to post outside links here, Mod please remove if not allowed)

11. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

I guess you are talking about watch you posted above. As for that site, I never used it nor heard of it before, so I cant comment on it one way or the other.

Artifice likes this.
  12. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

I see. Thank you for the advice! So anything from Europe or Ukraine I should run away from. How about those from India ? What places would be a good indicator to buy a watch from?

13. Ritzwatch Aug 18, 2016

Another thing to consider, especially with vintage watches, is the cost to service the watch. The watch you have shown is advertised as serviced. That alone should be worth $150+. If you buy unserviced vintage, get it serviced. It is like changing the fluids when buying a used car - you want it to run right and to last.

Artifice likes this.
  14. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

No no, not everything. Europe in general is fine, bur Ukraine specifically has a lot of fakes out there that are being sold for ridiculous amounts as real deal watches. Just do a google search and you will find quite a few topic discussing various listings and examples of these watches look like. Once you see few of them, all other variations will be real easy to spot.

As for India, I have no idea really. I would say due diligence is needed just like with any other listing, no matter the country watch comes from.

As was mentioned already, do slow down and research, read up, ask a lot of questions, post up watches that you are considering, and see what folks say. Do try to do research yourself about a watch as well, as it shows that at least you are trying to figure things out, and arent just expecting all the info and help on silver platter without doing any work. A lot of folks on here that are Omega encyclopedias spent countless hours researching and gathering info, so they dont want to give it up just like that to every person that stumbles into the forum.

Unless there is evidence of mentioned service, in form of a receipt or something specific like that, i wouldnt trust that at all. Last thing I would want to do is just take someones word that service was done, buy the watch, not service it and then destroy the movement because it is completely dry and so on. it will end up costing a lot more in the end. Just my 2C

Ritzwatch likes this.
  15. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

Yeah, good advice. I considered that. Thank you!

16. Artifice Aug 18, 2016

I understand. I am still reading up about Omega watches in this forum. There are lots of valuable information here.

Will keep in mind to ask for proof of service.

Thank you good Sir!

17. mac_omega Aug 19, 2016

Yes, very good idea to stay away from Europe - so one competitor less for me...:D

cvrle1, JimInOz and Artifice like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 19, 2016

I would willingly buy a watch from the Ukraine.

Or India or South America, or South Korea, in fact anywhere on the planet, even Austria.

Those countries don't have a monopoly on frankenisers or scammers, the "safe" markets like USA, Britain, Canada, Australia et al are also risky if you are naive.

Therefore it's important to know exactly what you're buying, establish the seller's credentials etc, use appropriate methods of payment.

ahartfie likes this.