Forums Latest Members

Help With Fake Check Vintage Constellation AUTOMATIC CAL. 564

1. simonho7498 Sep 6, 2018

Hello,

New to the forum. New to Omega watches.

After searching many days on how to properly verify vintage omegas. I am still a bit confused and unsure of what to make of the boatloads of information I have read.

My goals are to educate myself and to verify all the information of this piece to see if it pans out. I am hoping to know if there are details that just don't add up, redials, different cases etc.

The seller said everything was original.

I thought as a last resort I would ask more qualified individuals their opinions.

My alternative is going to a vintage shop and paying a fee to have it verified.

Here is the info to the best of my knowledge.

Constellation Cal 564

Caseback SF 168017

A search through the database lead me to a description of a constellation C

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-constellation-c-ba-168-0009-168-017

But the picture is unavailable.

After looking at some pictures online, I notice most of the caseback numbers were in the center. The picture included is lower.

Some of the pictures online also have the "C" of Chronometer directly above the second "F" of OFFICIALLY. Though the one I have the "C" is between both F's

I don't know what to make of the 518 on the bottom of the watch either. But I found out that it was a bracelet option that was available to be selected upon the time of the release, don't exactly know if this information is verified or not.

The picture the seller provided also displayed the constellation being a sort of flat cream dial, but upon receipt it has a certain sheen to it. Not exactly sure if its just the lighting of the pictures, or a different dial. Then again, I don't exactly know what a constellation of that model is suppose to look like. I assume it would look something like this...

Also found another quality picture of it, again unsure.

https://watch-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/omega-constellation-circa-1972/

I have included pictures taken by the seller, as well as pictures I have taken to the best of my ability (without opening the watch). The more clear pictures with the white background are the ones the seller took.

Since I took the photos from my iphone and the extension of the photos arent allowed, I have created a drive with those photos along with the seller's photos.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Cy_0REJ-AVvKx8GcS-1cNqAxtlNT5iHI?usp=sharing

I believe I am out of my depth. Please assist me on this matter.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Simon.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Dedalus05 likes this.
  2. Noddyman Sep 7, 2018

Simon,

Welcome to OF.
    Nice first post ....... like your avatar!

You can breath easy, it looks to be a nice example.

The fonts look fine to my eye, lots of variations with these which don’t always comply to the same standard.

The main problem I see is some rotor rubbing; notice the circular gouging on the case back and scuffing on top of the rotor. This can be sorted during a service by a qualified watchmaker. Don’t send to Omega! Tells us where your from so members can give recommendations of watchmakers in your area.

The brick bracelet and 518 end links are nice bonus and also correct for this reference.

It worthwhile having a trawl through this thread and maybe post yours at the same time https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-c-cased-constellation-thread.72308/

Dedalus05, simonho7498 and Peemacgee like this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 7, 2018

Welcome @simonho7498
    +1 on congratulations on your first post - nicely done.
    Also another good response from @Noddyman.
    -so what he said.

Dedalus05, simonho7498 and Noddyman like this.
  4. simonho7498 Sep 7, 2018

@Noddyman
    @Peemacgee

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

I will definitely check out the link provided!

I am located in LA County, California.

Would you say the rotor rubbing to be an urgent issue?

What would be a reasonable fee I would be looking at to get a watchmaker to service it?

Based on your experience on the dials, do you think I should worry about the appearance of the dial compared between the photos listed by the seller and the photos I have taken?

I also noticed in the link you posted that there are some constellations a more flat white/cream dial, similar to the pictures posted by the seller and in the video.

The pictures I have taken located in the google drive look different. I don't exactly know if its just a lighting issue because I am not a good photographer.

Thanks again.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2018

Simon, please note that you can edit your posts without having to delete them and start new ones.

simonho7498 likes this.
  6. Noddyman Sep 7, 2018

I am a mechanical engineer so having a worn bush and the rotor rattling around inside would drive me mad. As to urgency it all depends on how badly the mating parts are worn. Judging by all the debris I would recommend you get this cleaned/serviced sooner rather than later.
    In the UK a standard service would cost around £200 - £250.

I don’t see any difference between the watches in the two sets of photos, - maybe it’s just the lighting.

In regards to watchmakers I suggest starting a new thread asking for recommendations in your area.

simonho7498 likes this.
  7. simonho7498 Sep 7, 2018

Understood.

Thank you for helping me out!

8. DanT Feb 23, 2021

Thanks for posting and an excellent idea reaching out to the many the knowledgeable members on OF. I'm no expert, but I've got a couple of examples of this reference. Crown looks correct and hands match the hour indices, both good signs (in my experience these are the first things to get switched/replaced). Also encouraging this comes with the correct bracelet and end links - if the seller was unscrupulous or looking for a fast buck they could have sold these separately and put the watch head on a leather strap. The lower position on the engraving on the case back also matches my examples. And finally just had mine serviced, @Noddyman was spot on, around £210 for general service before sales tax by a good independent watchmaker