Forums Latest Members

Help with electrical interruption

1. ctpete Mar 10, 2016

I have a six unit watch winder that I am very happy with. There is one problem, however. The electrical power in my area has frequent momentary disruptions. Well, since the winder has an electronic control, a power interruption resets all the dials to zero revolutions per day.

Last week I was away for two days and upon my return all my watches had stopped.

I have thought about installing a Universal Power Supply but have been concerned about having that unit next to my bed (where the winder is).

Does anyone else have this issue? Any other suggestions?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2016

What is the concern with a small ups? Winder power needs are super low.

Tritium likes this.
  3. Tritium Mar 10, 2016

If you are worried about the ups next to bed, just put the ups in any other place and plug the winder to it trough a large wire.

4. ctpete Mar 10, 2016

I was surprised to see how many people have asked this question on other forums. But no one had a better solution than to buy a UPS. I guess that is what I will do. Thanks for the responses.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 10, 2016

I'm just curious as to what the issue is. The smallest available is more then adequate for a winder. image.png

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2016

OK, I'll bite,

Install a wind generator,
    Install a solar roof unit,
    If you live near a mount stream, install a hydro generator (love these)

if all else fails, forum a neighborhood Nuclear co-op.

:D

SteveZ28 and West Slope like this.
  7. ctpete Mar 10, 2016

So I picked up a UPS today at Best Buy. Similar to the one Foo2rama linked above. I was originally hesitant about using a UPS due to the frequent droning of the cooling fan on the UPS at my office. However, this little unit has no fan so it should operate silently.

I installed the unit and re-set all my watches. We'll see how it works.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. gmkelm Mar 10, 2016

Or sell the automatics and replace with Quartz... Bada Bing Bada Boom - solved.

Benolio likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2016

Ah, the Dennis plan.

ConElPueblo and Archer like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 10, 2016

So a ups is like a winder for your winder to keep your unworn watches wound. :rolleyes:

larryganz, Galvarez and Foo2rama like this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Mar 14, 2016

I have a UPS for my cable modem, Apple Time Capsule WiFi Router, and some network drives, so I have time to power down the network drives via Macbook if the power goes out, and maybe continue to surf the web for a little while on the Macbook. Never thought about using one for a watch winder.

Some of my winders can run on battery or AC, but I never installed batteries because I was afraid they'd leak if I forgot about them and didn't touch them for a few years.

12. ctpete Mar 14, 2016

UPS works fine. We had a brief power blip yesterday and the watch winder/ups combo performed as expected.