Forums Latest Members
  1. Delbok Feb 25, 2018

Hi guys

I will need your help as I am being offered a Ed White with a decent dial, movement is working very well with a perfect reset at 12 for the chrono. Serial is right as well and the case barely polished. Bezel is correct with a long scratch on the 85 and on the M of tachymètre. The thing is it just looks like pushers, crown and all hands have been replaced so I was wondering by how much the value of this "grail" would lose...
    I was wondering what kind of value you would think this watch is worth it.
    One of the answer would obviously be the money I want to put in but I am sure you guys experts will have an educated guess better than mine.
    Using the very respected price chart of Speedmaster101 is helpful but how taking into consideration the number of replacements on these old pieces ?
    I only have one picture of this that should speak enough to the experienced fellas of this forum

Thanks a lot for your help
    Ed white.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. ndgal Feb 25, 2018

What's the asking price?

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 25, 2018

I'd keep the bezel. Pushers are available. Crown, about $500, and there's been quite a few on the market lately . One available here right now I think.

So, really, don't let those things stop you. And they dont give you much leverage on pricing. +/- a few hundred bucks on a watch worth 10k+ is not worth losing sleep over.

Let's see a wrist shot when it arrives!

4. Delbok Feb 25, 2018

Sorry I should have mentionned... 13,000 USD

5. ndgal Feb 25, 2018

Not a bad price.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 25, 2018

Just a note on the hands, if you wanted to replace them, less than $1000. I'd guess you could get a decent set for 600-700, and an ok set for 500. Harder than paying for them is finding them, but it's not an impossible task. I would take a close look at them before doing that though.

nonuffinkbloke and Caliber561 like this.
  7. Delbok Feb 25, 2018

Hands are definitely my biggest concern, I had rarely seen some for sale (true I did not look properly) and as usual the patina match with the dial will hardly fit so it is pretty much a never ending story if I am looking for the right combo...

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2018

Every month you spend passing on watches is another month you could be hunting for hands. Just sayin'

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2018

Does the seller say the hands have been replaced or are you assuming based on dial condition etc? I ask since very often EW hands and dials fade differently. I can’t tell a lot from your picture but the havds do look to be faded tritium, just not as faded as the dial which is a little dirty on the plots. The bezel isn’t too bad at all.

10. Delbok Feb 26, 2018

Bezel is definitely not bad. When looking at the watch -in real life- hands clearly looked new compare to the dial. I have the chance to already have a 105.012-65 from the original owner and they clearly look older than these, even if each watch evolves differently of course. Chrono hands looked very white as well and pretty untouched. When looking very closely I could not figure out if they received tritium some day, I am too much of a newbie to tell

11. MaiLollo Feb 26, 2018

It looks great, the hands / crown / pushers are a bummer but you can find original parts and as far as hands are concerned, you can always have them relumed and have the paint aged. I know that most collectors don't care so much if hands aren't original, since they are prone to being damaged when the watch is serviced.
    The most important thing is that the dial looks nice, and the bezel is very attractive. With the right hands this would be a very beautiful watch

EDIT: one pic isn't enough to judge the case, but of course the most important thing is having a look inside the caseback and see what the movement number is. Everything has to check out, especially for 13$k

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  12. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Feb 26, 2018

@Delbok In addition to all of the points a above one key factor for me is how attractive the watch is. And for me the dial lume is a big turn off. I just doesn't look nice and no amount of correct parts will change this.
    I would be patient and wait for a better example.

padders likes this.
  13. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 26, 2018

Alternatively you could have the hands expertly aged to match the lume by a top watchmaker such as Simon Freese or Swiss Time Services in the UK??? They would include that with a service and give you one price for the whole thing including return postage with a guarantee. They may even have correct, vintage, pushers and crown for that reference available to fit during the service???

They did it for me and the results were very pleasing. 9a648218-da51-4648-81d1-40bd0d1ba6cd.jpg

Edited Feb 26, 2018
    Delbok and MaiLollo like this.
  14. gminnj Feb 26, 2018

I would say grab it. V good advice above.

As long as movement looks ok, these ‘problems’ are relatively minor...

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 26, 2018

I would agree if the price was right, but at $13,000 they are asking near the SP101 good price and this is clearly a watch with several issues. My vote is wait for the next that comes along.

Delbok, nonuffinkbloke and Davidt like this.
  16. Delbok Feb 26, 2018

Now what would you consider the “right” price with this few issues ?
    I have no idea how much costs a relume like the one nonuffinkbloke did

17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 26, 2018

bjhove, Inox, sky21 and 3 others like this.
  18. Delbok Feb 26, 2018

I indeed considered it :) cause if i sum up, a crown (500 USD) + pushers (750 Usd ?) + hands (1k usd) what the “Kid” offers is actually better