Forums Latest Members
  1. Rumar89 Nov 7, 2017

Hello Longines OFers,

Hoping you can help me with a bit of a puzzle. I recently acquired a very early 30L, that has the hallmarks (Breguet overcoil, truncated regulator arm) of the chronometer certified movements. This particular example, however, is not listed as a chronometer in the Longines archives. Doing a little more digging, Longines30L.com also has several examples of similar non-certified chronometer 30L's. (A wonderful resource for this movement, thank you Havi!) Almost all of these examples seem to be very early in the 30L's production, with serial numbers in the 9,600,000-9,700,000 range. This has led me to speculate that early 30L's were originally fitted with the Breguet overcoil and at some point (to cut costs, speed up production, etc.) Longines decided to shift to the more standard layout. (I've had no luck getting Longines to provide any greater detail on the matter.)

Unfortunately, I'm basing this off of a fairly limited sample size. This is where you come in! If you have a 30L with one of these early serial numbers, I'd be very greatful if you could post photos of the watch and the particulars of the movement here. This may provide a greater range of examples from which we can make assumptions/educated guesses.

The example I purchased has been posted on OF previously, but I've relisted the information below.

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0802.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

Serial number: 9693860
    Reference: 6691
    Invoiced to: Girod, Spain
    Invoice Date: 23 March 1956

Thanks for your help!

noelekal and dodo44 like this.
  2. TropicConnie Nov 8, 2017

http://longines30l.com/wordpress/?page_id=189

Some of the archive extracts here don't explicitly state their chronometer status either, however there are a few early examples which do indicate a chronometer. It appears to have been a sporadic practice.

3. Rumar89 Nov 8, 2017

If you look closely at the information on Longines30L.com, there are a few examples with 9.7 serial numbers that are certified chronometers. These, however, were invoiced much later than their serial numbers would suggest (late 1957 or later). I would consider them outliers based upon the invoice dates.

So I reached out to Havi (who runs Longines30L.com) regarding this. He has also been unable to get Longines to comment on these early models. Certainly by the introduction of the Flagship, they were certifying chronometers. But prior to that period, you have several watches (mine, multiple from Longines30L.com) particularly with 9.6-9.7 serial numbers that are 30L chronometers in everything but certification.

Edited Nov 8, 2017
    TropicConnie likes this.
  4. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

Calling @ulackfocus. Ever seen one of these 30L’s that wasn’t certified as a chronometer but has all of the hallmarks?

5. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

I'd need a better picture of the balance / hairspring area before commenting. @Tony C. should see this thread also - he'll be looking for the same things as I.

6. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

I’ll take it to my watchmaker tomorrow and have him pop the caseback.

You thinking it doesn’t have the overcoil? If not, it doesn’t make sense to me to use the truncated regulator arm...

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2018

I respectfully disagree. These movements have the same parts as the ones that were submitted for testing, but the manufacturer cannot confirm that they were certified or even adjusted as chronometers. IMO, these are not chronometers. They are high-quality watches.

However, all of this is of very little consequence today.
    gatorcpa

khmt2 and Tony C. like this.
  8. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

That’s gets to the heart of the puzzle though doesn’t it? Why produce a watch with the same hardware as the chronometers and not certify them?

My suspicion is that very early 30Ls were all outfitted with what would later become the chronometer hardware. (Potentially, Longines discovered what we now consider the standard 30L was more than sufficient in the accuracy department, although that is mere supposition.)

Maybe a more accurate moniker would be pre-chronometer.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2018

I can't speak for Longines, but Omega did this in the 1950's. See cals. 354 and 501. Both of these came in both chronometer and non-chronometer versions. The chronometer versions were marked with the adjustments on the rotor and "Chronometer" on the dial. The rest of the parts were identical.

Omega also did the opposite. On some military watches they took standard 30mm movements and made the extra adjustments, which in Omegaspeak is "like a chronometer".

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-suveran-on-ebay.4980/page-2#post-58673

Logic and reason do not always apply when collecting vintage watches.
    gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2018

Rolex often used identical calibers - some rated as chronometers, some not. It was actually quite common back then because of tariffs on not only jewels, but how many positions a movement was adjusted to.

11. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

That would make sense if we saw this trend continue later in the production, but (from the admittedly small sample size) it seems to be confined to very early 30L examples. Then we see the line branching into certified chronometers, with the associated hardware, and standard 30Ls.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 23, 2018

No, it is not a "pre" anything. If the extra work wasn't done, then it is not a chronometer, pre- or otherwise.

It would be accurate to call this a NFW. Ask @ulackfocus what that means.
    gatorcpa

13. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

Well, that clearly isn’t the situation we have here. There are clear differences between 30L movements that are identified as chronometers that go beyond adjustments. Mainly a truncated regulator arm to allow for a Breguet overcoil.

If you see the two examples that are listed on Longines30L.com as non-verified chronometers (it’s where I got the term) both were shipped to Spain in late 1955. My was also shipped to Spain in early 1956. The earliest I’ve seen an officially certified 30L chronometer is 1957.

Frankly, I’m just hoping to learn more about what I find to be an intriguing pattern I noticed among early 30Ls. Not get into a fight over terminology.

Edited Mar 23, 2018
  14. Rumar89 Mar 23, 2018

I think it’s also worth noting that nowhere on chronometer certified Longines 30Ls is there any reference to adjustments like what you would see on an Omega from the time period.

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 24, 2018

Certainly these are interesting anomalies, but I doubt very much that all of the early ones had the chronometer parts.

16. TropicConnie Mar 24, 2018

Longines very rarely marked their chronometer movements in the same way Omega did. The only exception I can think of is the R.R. 280.

After looking at the evidence, in my opinion, all 30L calibres started with a Breguet overcoil, regardless of their certification (or lack thereof). After some time they replaced the overcoil with a flat hairspring for the majority (likely for cost-cutting reasons), reserving the overcoil hairsprings for chronometers.

To phrase it differently: a Breguet overcoil is only an indicator of a chronometer in later 30L calibres, it does not imply that all early 30L calibres were chronometers.

Of course, this theory could be proven wrong if we can find an early 30L with a flat hairspring.

gatorcpa and Rumar89 like this.
  17. Rumar89 Mar 24, 2018

Totally agree. @gatorcpa, I wasn’t claiming that is is a chronometer. Just that it has the same hallmarks that we identify with the (later) movements that are chronometers. Rereading my posts, I think my verbiage may have been confusing.

Could be that they were trying to perfect production before they submitted the 30L to the Neuchâtel Observatory trials in 1956 and then had a few extra examples laying around. Anybody know what the difference is in 20 Werken and 30 Werken?

B4DB13A5-78B6-41CE-AFD9-6D62AAE4DD69.jpeg

Anyway, below are some better shots of the coil and regulator arm @ulackfocus.

1DACD985-57D2-4710-867E-01667DB9F7A3.jpeg
    D1E4193E-75DB-42D3-931F-FA9F2505D2CD.jpeg

TropicConnie likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 24, 2018

My theory would be that the 30L movement was designed to be easily be adjusted to chronometer standards, but Longines did not necessarily adjust or submit each movement for certification.

The word “werke” means “movement” or “machine” in German. So looking at your list, the top part says “20 werken”, so that means all those serial numbers represent 20 movements. Maybe a short production run. The bottom section is 30 movements, etc.

I’m not sure what the document in your post is supposed to represent. Maybe a list of 30L movements that were submitted for certification?
    gatorcpa

19. Rumar89 Mar 24, 2018

How familiar are you with this movement?

If you look here, you can see a side by side between a standard 30L and a chronometer.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-30l-chronometre.30166/

gatorcpa likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 24, 2018

Not very familiar with these earlier (Pre-1960’s) versions. I have a Ref. 8888 with a “standard” movement.

F197F421-5EBB-4D60-AE0F-07DCF279CC9E.jpeg CA2B70BC-5B98-4B69-B6F4-51B808CD7C5A.jpeg

The watch keeps excellent time. “Like a chronometer” as Omega would say.

I also know that watch companies did a lot of very odd things in the 1950’s and 1960’s due to US Customs laws. Things like movements marked “unadjusted” getting chronometer type adjustments in the US after importation (LeCoultre was famous for this, and they were corporate cousins here for years).

So anything is possible.
    gatorcpa

TropicConnie likes this.