Forums Latest Members
  1. NikoA Nov 16, 2018

Hi everyone,

This watch was given to me by my Uncle who passed away a few years ago. I would like to learn more about it, specifically if any of the parts, etc.. are NOT actual Omega parts. I would like to keep this watch, but would like to 'fix it up' and ensure authenticity.

I know that the band is definitely after-market as it seems brand new (and cheap). Other than that, I am in your hands.

Looking forward to your info.

IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4470.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG

2. Dan S Nov 16, 2018

You have most of the information already. Reference 14713 with a cal 268 movement. The serial number dates it to the early 1960s. I think that the hands (Edit: I changed my mind about these, they look ok, but the lighting is a bit funny) and crown may have been replaced, but otherwise it looks nice. Others with more expertise will have more information.

3. Rochete Nov 16, 2018

Crown not Omega, hands dubious, rest seems OK.

4. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 16, 2018

5. Rochete Nov 16, 2018

Omega database gives lumed dauphine for this reference in s.s...

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ck-14713

and lancet for other similar references with same cal.:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-other-omega-ck-14391

So who knows, hands might be the original ones.

6. Dan S Nov 16, 2018

Agreed. They just looked a little funny to me at first, in part because they appeared to be a different color than the sub-second hand. But then I began to think that it could just be a reflection. With the watch in-hand, the OP will be able to tell better, but if the color of the minute-hour hands matches the markers and the small seconds hand, then I'm inclined to think they are all ok.

Rochete likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 16, 2018

Geez, I haven't seen an uncle watch in a long time.

PlainVanilla, NikoA and Dan S like this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 16, 2018

Hands look original but have been painted black possibly for legibility? Looks horrible regardless.

IMG_4461.JPG

Archer, Waltesefalcon and Dan S like this.
  9. Dan S Nov 16, 2018

Good observation as usual. I guess it wasn't just a reflection after all. :eek:

Very strange choice, but perhaps the paint can be carefully removed with paint thinner or some other type of solvent.

Millenary Watches likes this.
  10. Millenary Watches Nov 17, 2018

Well this was something new..:eek: Should be able to remove it and make them look like a million bucks:cool:

11. NikoA Feb 28, 2019

Finally logged back in to check if there were any replies (thought that I would get notifications on this post...). Regardless, thanks so much for your information!

So it seems like the crown is aftermarket, and there's something odd with the hands...great to know that it is authentic for the most part. Does anyone have a recommendation for me that would get this watch fixed up with the proper parts, etc...? I live in western Canada by the way.

Thanks!

12. Waltesefalcon Feb 28, 2019

The hands have been painted, I've actually done this before. My dad had a Hamilton with gold hands against a gold dial and as his eyesight got worse as he was got older I removed the hands and applied a bit of black nail polish to the hands. I had forgotten all about that watch and now I think I need to go look for it.

tjdwhite likes this.
  13. NikoA Oct 17, 2022

Hi everyone, I thought I would loop back on this since you all were quite helpful earlier. I ended up sending this watch to Omega to get it serviced. While there, I also had a dial restoration done. I asked them not to polish it though. It looks great now, and all that is left is to get a strap for it (Black leather is what I will go for).

IMG-7830.jpg
    Scarecrow Boat, tjdwhite, UWG and 4 others like this.
  14. MtV Oct 17, 2022

Thank you for remembering this thread and coming back to post the final result! Wear it in good health. :)

I’ve had a NOS case lying around here for ages - unfortunately, your thread was posted here before I even registered on OF, would’ve been happy to offer it.

15. Dan S Oct 17, 2022

It's a bit hard for me to tell from the photo, but did Omega install luminous silver hands on a dial with unlumed gold markers?

16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 17, 2022

It sure looks that way to me.

17. SBund Oct 17, 2022

Looks like it

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2022

Did you ask for the dial to be refinished?

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 17, 2022

Lume on hands and not dial is somewhat workable, the reverse is not.

Hey, Niko, you looking for a great wearable watch or for a museum piece?
    Some of the work done may not be museum level but how darn good does that baby look?

If you love it, I love it.

We are a collector's forum and can be insanely discriminatory.

I think black, natural, dark tan/brown or cordovan/ox blood would look spectacular.

20. PlainVanilla Oct 18, 2022

To me, it's a really cool looking watch!

tjdwhite and Superenalotto 17 like this.