Forums Latest Members

Help with Dad’s 7f32-5000

1. Superpacker Mar 10, 2022

My Dad recently passed and this watch is so closely associated with him in my mind (ignore the wor strap - I’ve replaced it). But the moonphase no longer works and that was the thing I was mesmerized with when I was little.

I’d like to get the moonphase fixed. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced way to do that (local watch guys already declined trying). Is it possible to buy seiko watch movement and just replace the whole thing? Please help!

8926134F-6B6B-4884-8CAB-FCA3A2C9C8E8.jpeg 2B0233B7-9015-42C5-94ED-652B4844149A.jpeg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 11, 2022

The 7F32 is a relatively simple quartz movement and should be easy for any watchmaker to diagnose the issue.

The calendar and the moon phase are driven from the main rotor via a number of wheels and set via two correctors.

The problem may be that one of the three wheels used to drive the moon phase is damaged (broken tooth etc).

The other problems are the relative scarcity of these movements and the age/cost of any donor watches/movements.

3. Superpacker Mar 11, 2022

Thanks for the insight. I was surprised that every watch repair place I spoke with essentially just said they’d “send it out” somewhere and that it would cost a lot. I’ve contacted some of the companies online that sell seiko movements in hopes they may have one.

From what I’ve learned over the past year this seems like a surprisingly rare model. I’ve only found online evidence of three being sold but none had this gold tone face. And I was surprised at what a broken one went for on eBay.