Forums Latest Members

Help with an unusual UG Polerouter

1. palkastu Oct 17, 2017

Hi guys,
    Im in the process of reducing my watch collection and could use your help.
    I mainly collect vintage Omega, but have picked up some other pieces here and there.
    This Polerouter is one of them but I cant find much information regarding this watch.
    This is what I know:

Case: Stainless steel case, 38 x 38mm
    Movement: Microtor 72, 21 600 vph, day/date
    Crystal: Original crystal
    Production year: Late 60s/Early 70s
    Serialnumber: 2 823 025
    Lug width: 26mm (!!)

I have searched the web but have only seen two similar watches. Is it rare or just unpopular maybe? Is there anything else I should know about it?
    The watch runs well and looks to be in excellent condition. Has anyone an idea of what the asking price should be?

Thanks for any help in advance!
    If you need more pictures I will gladly take some more this afternoon :)

11.jpg

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 18, 2017

This is a later, funky, '70s style watch, and bears no resemblance to the earlier, classic Polerouters that are so popular amongst collectors. Also, most collectors steer clear of watches with day/date functions.

If you like the style, then there is no reason not to consider it. But it won't be very easy to sell should you decide to move on from it.

palkastu likes this.
  3. palkastu Oct 18, 2017

Thanks!
    I already own the watch but have decided "to move on". I got a good deal on this when I bought it a couple of years ago and thought it was kind of cool.
    Any idea what I could get for it?

4. peire06 Oct 20, 2017

5. Carlton-Browne Oct 20, 2017

I think the problem is that there isn't enough data as these watches don't crop up that often. Whilst they have Polerouter on the dial they are not the design that most Polerouter collectors are after. I'm certain that Hodinkee could sell one of these for $2k and it's heartening to see one go for that in the post above but the only way of establishing market value may be to list high and drop the price to find the level. It's a lovely thing and I particularly like the circular indices and the way the case is lapped - do you have any macro shots of the indices?

6. Diabolik Oct 20, 2017

@Carlton-Browne completely agree ...

It is also important to consider that asking rice rarely equates to selling price. A seller can ask what he likes so looking at post adverts is rarely a good indicator of value. Put it on the bay and let the bidders decide is one way or just put a tag on it and see it it sells ...

It is nice. However, I find it hard to fathom that it would be considered more desirable than other polerouter models (50s and 60s).

tyrantlizardrex and Larry S like this.
  7. palkastu Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for all the good advice, guys!
    I have put it up for sale here in Norway and are considering an offer as we speak (about $400).
    @Carlton-Browne Im not capable of taking macros but heres a photo from an other angle:

6.jpg

8. peire06 Oct 21, 2017

Palkatsu $400 is on the lower end of its value. I am sure you could get a bit more ($600-650). Good luck with the sale.

Diabolik likes this.
  9. Diabolik Oct 21, 2017

You should be aiming a little higher ...

Larry S likes this.
  10. Carlton-Browne Oct 22, 2017

Definitely higher.

11. peire06 Oct 22, 2017

Palkatsu, keep us posted on the sale.

12. palkastu Oct 23, 2017

Here is an update:
    I sold the watch last night for $585 to a norwegian buyer. The same buyer bought watches for total of $3500 and the UG was one of them.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

tyrantlizardrex and ConElPueblo like this.
  13. Carlton-Browne Oct 23, 2017

That's better but I still think it is worth more :). I've just spotted the logo on the crystal.

14. ConElPueblo Oct 23, 2017

Probably @Northernman or some other cunning Norwegian... ;)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 23, 2017

:) Not me this time.
    I have, almost, managed to be a good boy and concentrate on home improvement projects lately. :whistling:

w154, tyrantlizardrex and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. palkastu Oct 23, 2017

I know I could have gotten more for the watch :)
    I actually got higher bids here on this forum, but I know the buyer well and he offers me some nice pieces at a very reasonable price from time to time. I just returned the favour.
    The point of this thread was to learn a bit more about the watch and find the right price range :)
    Thanks again!

ConElPueblo and bimbim1207 like this.
  17. bimbim1207 Oct 24, 2017

I remember seeing a similar watches with blue dial on eBay last year, with original bracelet. It was listed with BIN price for $400 and was sold in a few hours. Though that doesn't mean the watch worth ~400ish, probably the seller also had no knowledge about the watch.

18. chanjere05 Oct 26, 2017

What a lovely watch! Seems like it went for a steal at that price.

A round peg in a square hole amongst its brethren :). Thanks for sharing!