Forums Latest Members
  1. TheBarber Jun 15, 2019

Good evening

saw an old Orvin watch from the 1950's seller wants 80.00 for it. Only thing i really know is that the watches were sold by Sears and Roebuck years ago. he called it a triple date watch it does run well but he does not know when it was last service. Can anyone shed some light and is it worth the 80.00 he wants? i wasn't thinking so this is the only photo i have. imagejpeg_0 (10).jpg watch1.jpg

2. TDBK Jun 15, 2019

It's hard to assess value at that kind of price point: the watch itself isn't very rare, but it's also not very popular; there's a couple of very similar watches on eBay sitting unsold for $200-$400, but I can't find one that has sold, and there aren't many Orvin watches which have sold for $80 or more (some of the divers are in that area). It would cost you a lot more than $80 to get it serviced, so you're in a spot where either it runs OK and it's an $80 watch, but when it needs to be serviced for a least a couple of hundred dollars, it's a $300+ watch, and how much you paid for it doesn't have much to do with the full out-of-pocket spend. If you like it, offer him less, and either he'll take it, or he'll wait until he finds someone willing to pay $80 (and if you like it a enough, that person might be you).

tanglefoot likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 15, 2019

Depending on your knowledge of vintage watches, you may know that chronographs generally cost much more to service than good ol’ 3 hand watches.

tanglefoot likes this.