Forums Latest Members
  1. jfwoodman Sep 13, 2016

The El Primero is pretty specialized, so be careful with a local watchmaker. This is quite a project! Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your results.

2. plexyforever Sep 14, 2016

I like your A386. I would look for right hands and I will wear it proudly, with its "scars" and "wounds".
    I sincerely like it.

3. donkii Sep 14, 2016

Keep it as is, it's a nice watch :D

4. jsaen Nov 6, 2016

I just got the watch back, with replacement crystal, dial, tachy and hands.

I got all the original parts. Here's a picture of the watch and the original dial, which was hard to see under the old crystal.
    IMG_9813 (1).jpg

It looks really nice, but it also looks different than with all original parts.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 6, 2016

Zenith did that?

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 6, 2016

Congrats...tachy looks good :)

7. jsaen Nov 6, 2016

Nope. I found the dial, tachy, and hands and had a local watchmaker repair and replace those.

It sounds like you would not be satisfied with this outcome. What did I get wrong?

8. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Nov 6, 2016

You have the wrong sub hands if i see that correct (to short).

I think Lous is a purist. Every replacement part is a thorn in his eye but that's just my 2 cents.

jsaen and donkii like this.
  9. mahamithra Nov 7, 2016

Although I have offered you the parts you might need. If it was mine. I would not change the hands. I would not change the dial. I would put a replacement bezel on although it will look bright it will be correct. Let a competent watch maker wash the dial, straighten the hands, service it and live with it for awhile and see how you feel in a year. If you want a better one, sell this one and dig very deep into your pocket and buy a good one, don't hold back on what you have to pay. There is no such thing as a bargain in this arena!

jsaen likes this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

Based on the thread, I understand your decision to replace the dial, but I am taken aback at the stubby subdial hands. The originals are much better - I have no idea why they replaced them.

jsaen likes this.
  11. YWK Nov 7, 2016

Agree. Suggest send to Zenith for full overhaul. replacement of dial, hands, and servicing movement. yes, that would ruin vintage value, but I'd argue it doesn't have much to begin with seeing current condition of the watch. At least this way, you can enjoy wearing a beautiful watch.

12. jsaen Nov 7, 2016

Thank you everybody for the advice. I have so much to learn, and clearly I'm going to learn whether I like it or not.

So far nothing has been ruined, and I have options. The watchmaker returned all the original parts, including the gear that he replaced while servicing it. He replaced the dial and hands because I bought new dial and hands. I didn't know they were short, until I picked up the watch. But I could un-replace them.

@mappleluna's picture on the first page of this thread also shows short hands. Is that what comes from Zenith now?

I am worried about trying to fix the original dial, because at that point somebody could destroy something. Does anybody have a recommendation for a someone who can wash and clean the dial? The dial does also have some noticeable scratches on the sub-dials.

The original sub-dials hands aren't too bad, there are some scratches. The main hands are messed up, again it's not clear to me if I ask my watchmaker to straighten the hands if they'll get wrecked or not.

So I still have decisions to make. :) Even knowing it's not all perfect, I really enjoyed wearing the watch to work today. Actually, I loved it. What a great watch.

I went this route because getting an A386 that is all correct and in good condition for a reasonable price seems almost impossible right now.

13. mappleluna Nov 7, 2016

Indeed comes from zenith.