Forums Latest Members

Help With a Vintage Longines

1. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 25, 2016

I recently picked this sector dial Longines with Roman Numerals.It has a nice 19AS movement to boot and a 10k gold filled case.

I have been on the lookout for this layout for quite sometime now.Unfortunately, the few examples I came accross were priced beyond my humble budget of $500. To add to my dilemma, some of them were re-dialled/sporting wrong hands etc.This one although looks a little tired.

I needed inputs from my friends here, on whether to leave the dial as is, or proceed / attempt to clean the dial up a little.Also any other suggestions to enhance the looks of this beauty would be most appreciated.

$_3 (9).JPG $_3.JPG $_3 (1).JPG $_3 (2).JPG $_3 (3).JPG $_3 (4).JPG $_3 (7).JPG $_3 (6).JPG $_3 (8).JPG
    Edited Apr 25, 2016
  2. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2016

19AS? Interesting. I would have expected a 22AS inside that watch.

3. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 25, 2016

If I'm not mistaken, there were two similar models with changes in dial layout/hands (dauphine hands) and movement. The other one sports the 22AS.

Edited Apr 25, 2016
  4. ulackfocus Apr 25, 2016

Yes, there were - one with the center sweep (22AS) and one with the subseconds (22A). I used to own both. There's even a manual wind versions with the 22L series. Can't say for certain that it's correct or a franken though. You'd have to contact Longines with the numbers and a picture or two.

5. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 25, 2016

Here is a similar example, although with different dial layout.

Note the difference in hands.And the chapter ring on which the numerals appear is much smaller than my example(The two tone effect is much less prominent)

By the way, is it a redial?Tempted to think it is.Simply by looking at the font of the 5 minute markers and the pristine white portion of the centre which does not go with the age of the watch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282016223805?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l6346&_trkparms=gh1g=I282016223805.N101.S1&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And here's one below with the sub-second.Similar case to the one above, but with much more beautiful hands.(Not sure what the design of the hands is called though).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172117444190?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My dial is a different design to both of the above.

Edited Apr 25, 2016
  6. dragoman Apr 26, 2016

I have read elsewhere that these dials were made by the Stern Company.

As I have seen these in both Automatic and manual-wound watches (27M and 23M)

Longines 23M 14k referencia 1.jpg
    (23M)

Longines manual.JPG
    (27M)

And some others with seconds at six

[​IMG]

I would say that this is one of those designs Longines used through the years with different movements and different case designs. Add the occasional franken or redial, and you have the perfect nightmare to establish authenticity.

If I remember well, ulackfocus once made a little quiz with a redial and an original dial with this design, and it was almost impossible to tell one from the other.

7. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 26, 2016

[​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

This is an original dial right?

In my opinion the hands on the 1st and 3rd watch(pic above) are much more attractive than the ones on the 2nd watch.

8. dragoman Apr 26, 2016

This is an original dial right?

In my opinion the hands on the 1st and 3rd watch(pic above) are much more attractive than the ones on the 2nd watch.[/QUOTE]

Frankly, I don't know. if that dial is original. If hard pressed, I would say it is a redial.

And for the style of hands, both are correct, far as I know:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What bothers me most about the second (stainless steel) watch in the post above (which is mine, by the way) are the round threes and the closed six in the minutes ring. To compound things, it is an Argentinian "Suiza" dial, but I bought the watch from the UK.

9. (O)MEGA-FREAK Apr 27, 2016

Sadly, that is my experience too in these Sector dials.

Almost all pristine ones that come up for sale are re-dials.If you look at the links to the watches I posted above, both look like re-dials, though I wasn't sure of the last pic in your first post.Now that you say it, looks like a re-dial.

With regards to the steel watch, the font of the 3s do look a little different from the ones on the watch above.The more I compare the pics, the more the difference stands out. The watch above the steel one in your first post and the last pic in your second post have similar fonts on the outer chapter ring.

Edited Apr 27, 2016