Forums Latest Members
  1. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 28, 2015

Hi Guys

I fight with myself.
    A few years ago i bought this Speedy.
    I was young and start to collect vintage watches.
    When i look back it was a mistake to buy this one but ok i'm not a master and learned my lesson :whipped:.

Now my questions:

Hands, bezel, glass and pushers are wrong.
    Is the dial correct?

I have three possibilities to solve the mistake

1. I will sell the watch
    2. I will send it to Biel
    3. I look for the right parts (maybe a long time) (Feel free to contact me if you have the right parts :))

What would you do?

image.jpeg image[1].jpeg image[2].jpeg

Movement no. 22xxxxxx

image[3].jpeg
    image[4].jpeg

2. Davidt Jan 28, 2015

Dial looks correct. Applied logo, pre pro dial with narrow t Swiss made t. It looks from one picture like it may have been relumed but I think this may just be the angle.

Bezel, hands and pushers are modern as you say.

If you've built up a fondness for this I'd definitely keep it and look to replace the incorrect parts. Especially as you have the dial, case and movement, which are correct.

DoN bezels are sought after but a few have come up recently. They tend to be average to poor condition and sell for strong money but they are available. You could also get a new pulsometer, decimetre or telemeter bezel.

Hands do also come up for sale, but a new set of hands, made to look older, would improve the appearance.

Pushers and crown can be sorted no problem.

Go on, keep it. It deserves to be 'restored' and after the effort you put in, you'll have a great watch that you won't be able to part with!

Edited Jan 28, 2015
    Adri likes this.
  3. richardew Jan 28, 2015

You're off to a good start. As you have pointed out, the bezel and hands are not original. It's not impossible to find an appropriate DON bezel. I put a medical bezel on one of mine, and although not original, I like it. I wouldn't worry about original pushers or crown. They have non renewable gaskets and are routinely replaced when the movement is serviced. I can't imagine why you would want to put old ones on your watch and risk damage to the movement. DON'T SEND IT TO OMEGA! They are not sensitive to the needs of a vintage collector and want to make your watch look like it is new. I think that finding appropriate hands is a greater, although not impossible challenge. You just have to be persistent in your search for those parts.

HeuerLoon, Adri and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 29, 2015

I think i will replace the bezel (telemetric) and search the right parts.
    Have they all the same size (bezel)?

I know Omega was the baddest and last option.

Thank you very much for your comments i really appreciate that.

Adri

5. richardew Jan 30, 2015

The 105.003 and on, up to the modern speedy pro all have the same size bezel. I'm not sure about the 105.002. I believe that the bezel size on the 2998s is 1 mM different. Ofrei states that the bezels they have for sale will fit all of the speedmaster cases. I will continue to look through my books and find the source of this information. I know I read it somewhere.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2015

This is not correct - there are some circumstances where cases produced by certain makers can't be fitted with current replacement bezels and case backs...

Cheers, Al

7. richardew Jan 30, 2015

The size of the bezel originally was 38.6 mM and was changed to 39.7 with the 105.002 (per Omega, Journey Through Time). I can't copy or take a screen shot of the Ofrei page, but here is the link.

http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2015

Was this in reply to me? If so, it's not really relevant. As I said, there are cases produced by certain makers that the current replacement bezels and case backs do not fit. The page at Otto Frei you linked to mentions this (second bezel down just above the part number), but erroneously states that it is due to case wear, and this is not true.

Otto Frei are not exactly experts on Omegas, so I will take the word of Omega in the bulletin they issued in 2011 about this over Ofrei's word...

From the Omega bulletin (which I cannot post in it's entirety):

"For the replacement of bezel 082SU1589 or of case backs 112ST1139 and 112ST113901 of Moon Watch, case ref. 055ST1450022, the pieces from our stock, are only compatible with two suppliers identified with one of the following hallmarks, engraved on the case backs:

For all other manufacture (other hallmarks engraved in the back cases), bezels and back cases from our stock are not compatible. For such cases, you have to send the complete case for exchange to a special price of CHF 160.00"

Cheers, Al

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 30, 2015

Begs the question, just how many case suppliers did Omega use for the speedmaster over the years?

10. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 31, 2015

Archer,

Which information do you need, to say me the part no. of the bezel?

Adri

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2015

Need a photo of the inside of the case back...

12. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jan 31, 2015

The 5th picture of this thread:)

Thank you

13. alfanator Jan 31, 2015

Looks like the nice one. The most important bits, dial, movement, case, are there in good condition. Hands are not difficult to restore, crown and pushers are service items that i would not get too hung up on.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2015

Of course no new replacement bezel is available that is the same as the original, so you will have to find a used one. If you read the post I made, the issue of bezels not fitting is not with your case reference.

Cheers, Al