Forums Latest Members

Help with a possible scam on eBay

1. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

I´m selling a watch on the bay, and my BIN price is 280€ +10€ shipping.

I received a message from a 0 feedback member from Malaysia, where he ofered 380€ shipping included, and he asked for my
    Paypal account to make the payment.

I replied that I didn´t understand why he was ofering +100€ for the watch, and why he wasn´t using the BUY IT NOW option instead.

He replied again with this: "The price also include the shipping price, customs clear that is why I made it in such accurate amount. You can send me your PayPal account OR you can send me a payment request on my PayPal account [ xxx ] Please reply me here when you make the payment request okay".

Anyone had a similar experience where someone ofered more than the BIN price?

Is it possible to pay through Paypal and then cancel the payment after receiving the item?

Of course I think this is a scam, and not going to play, but I´m just curious to know how this fraud works.

2. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 29, 2014

I believe this is not a real scam but rather an ill informed guy, or perhaps a clever guy playing a bit stupid in order to trick you?
    You should make it clear to him that import duties must be paid and arranged by him upon arrival in his country.
    Seems he believes that you can handle that part for him?

My guess is that the item will get stuck in customs, and then he will claim that you will have to sort it out for him, since he already paid "customs fees" to you?!
    I would not go that way!

Whatever you do, send it registered, and make it absolutely clear that import and customs work and cost must be arranged and covered by him and that you will not bear any responsibilities for this what so ever.
    Make sure that you send this through the eBay messaging service so that it is traceable by eBay customer support should the guy come back and claim you for anything.

GLWS!

persco likes this.
  3. marturx Jul 29, 2014

Most likely he won't make any payment after he has received your paypal account info. My guess is that he will try to misuse your account.

Often we are talking about crooked sellers, but scammers are acting like buyers too.

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 29, 2014

I find that unlikely, as if he simply clicked the Buy-It-Now button, he'd know the the OP's Paypal address without having to go through the trouble of asking. Since he's a 0 feedback Ebayer, he wouldn't mind having a non-paying strike on his account.

5. woodwkr2 Jul 29, 2014

Why worry. Just decline the offer and don't get scammed!?

DLT222 likes this.
  6. marturx Jul 29, 2014

And your own theory is?

7. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

And if I don´t pay customs, the item will be sent back to me and he will be refunded by eBay/Paypal because he didn´t receive it. Nothing to loose for him, and shipping cost and time for me.

8. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

I don´t think he wants to
    It makes sense.

9. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

I definetly won´t play:thumbsup: but I´m curious about others opinion about this, and maybe prevent others to fall in a similar scam.

10. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

Mine is something related with customs like Anders said, or any friend at customs/courrier to help with a lost parcel and refund.

11. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 29, 2014

Why don't you send it over to eBay customer support as you have lined it out to us here? Would be very interesting to hear if and what they reply.... We should get something back from paying all their fees??:eek:

12. photo500 Jul 29, 2014

Contacting eBay will likely just get you a generic useless response, the more I deal with them the more I can't wait for a viable alternative.

lenny, dragoman, bieb1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 29, 2014

Craiglist?

Gumtree?

(sorry, feeling a bit naughty tonight :D)

14. photo500 Jul 29, 2014

Yes, the operative word there is viable, Gumtree is owned by eBay. It's also even more notorious for its scams. Craigslist might be an option in the USA but not here. ;). Feedback systems are important and in this case the lack of any feedback helps show Tritium that's it's best to run a mile. Neither Gumtree or Craigslist to my knowledge have any such systems but please correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 29, 2014

I really haven't a clue. ::bleh::

16. justwatchme Jul 31, 2014

I believe as a seller you are more at risk of paypal buyer fraud if the transaction doesn't involve an eBay sale. I can't remember the specifics (you could read up on it) but selling through eBay adds an additional layer of protection in the event that your buyer claims they never received their goods, etc. and disputes/files a chargeback.

The person may be offering you a higher price to entice you to transact outside of eBay so that they know they will win their paypal/credit card chargeback claim. I would walk away

17. Tritium Jul 31, 2014

Completely agree with you.

I told him that all import and custom charges would be his resposibility, and asked him to use the BUY IT NOW option instead.
    He just replied "Okay", and never replied again.

18. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 31, 2014

The "extra layer of protection" may rely on your past buying and selling history. If they see you've caused no trouble in the past and you have an established account, they may take your side more often against new sellers/buyers. It's not a perfect system - but it's a system.

19. Davidt Jul 31, 2014

I'm not sure how it works, but there is a way that sellers can set up sales with certain delivery companies so customs are paid up front. I've bought numerous items from the US and the most common method is that I simply pay for the item and postage, then a week or so later I get an email from a UK courier saying once I've paid them back for the customs duties they paid on my behalf, they'll deliver my item.

However, I recently bought a watch from the US and the seller had set it up that I paid for the item, postage and customs duty all at checkout.

All this was on eBay but like I say, I don't know how it's done. I just know it can be.

Highly likely this this is a scam but there is a chance it's a misinformed buyer.

20. Tritium Jul 31, 2014

Never heard about pre-paid customs before.
    Do you remember wich courrier delivered the watch?