Forums Latest Members
  1. Ritzwatch Aug 9, 2018

Good evening.

A few months ago, I came across a Leonidas chrono. I really liked it. In fact, I thought it might make a nice addition to a piece I picked up last year from an OF seller (thanks @Just Livin). Today, I got to see the chrono again. Here is a pic of the two cousins, the one I own on the left, the one I desire on the right:

IMG_1611.JPG

There are many positive things about the watch. While used, the back is clean (and unremarkable; indeed, there are no marks at all). The lugs are not perfect, there is some dirt on the case/pushers, but hey, it is an old watch and it does not appear polished, so I expect there to be some scratches and gunk.

I think it probably has a Val. 72c movement as best I can tell. It seems Leonidas used a lot of Venus 200s, but in their moonphase watches. I have not found another period movement that seems to fit as much as the Val 72c, but, I confess, I did not want the owner to remove the back bacause, well, he isn't ready to sell, so I am not ready to fully evaluate to make an offer. :)

I do have some concerns, however. Right now, my main issue is that I can't seem to find a good resource to evaluate the authenticity of the dial. I have seen a number of dials, but most are either moonphases or are, like mine, a "Big Eye", not a triple calendar. I am curious if my crummy iPhone pics are at all useful to anyone in providing me assistance here related to the dial.

Again, there are no movement pics and no casebook-removed pics because I am (gently) trying to plant the seeds to let the owner *consider* moving this piece from a drawer (his) to a good home (mine). Does this watch look to "those in the know" as one worth pursuing? (Bearing in mind I can always get more photos and inside caseback as well for evaluation if the owner were to decide to part with this piece.)

Two more pics: IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

If anyone has links to any quality Leonidas reference material, it would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks to all in advance.

@adam78

2. Vitezi Aug 9, 2018

3. Dan S Aug 9, 2018

Sorry, I don't like the dial either. Too much misalignment, and the edges of the sub-dials are very soft.

The case looks nice, and I think it's probably a V72c, as you mentioned (pusher positions look to be asymmetric around the crown).