Forums Latest Members
  1. Joe Public Dec 27, 2017

I've taken peoples advice and decided it's too early to buy

So I'm just trying to learn. I've read the fishing thread which was fascinating

Watch is here
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152833412940

Dial has spots so I dont think it's had a resent dial. Also lume has faded on hands and dial. Still would not know if it's been redialled a long time ago. Or if the hands are correct. How do I learn this?

Bezel looks like other models I've looked at.

I have looked at the case and it hasn't been polished resently. I am struggling with the photo angles of the lugs to see if they are the correct shape

Also the screws in the movement don't look right. I have looked at other movements with the same number. Some of the screws seem to be sat further out than other mechs. They are different colour too . And they have had wrong size screwdrivers used on them. Is this me looking too closely. Is it normal for screws to be sat this proud ?

Cheers

STANDY likes this.
  2. fjf Dec 27, 2017

Hi Joe. It looks like an honest watch. Dial looks original, the case is OK (not overpolished) and the movement is the right kind and age for the watch. I see nothing wrong with it. If you like it (the dial patina is rather nice), go for it. The only thing...it is not rare. The sellers always say that to make it look more expensive. But it is a nice watch. Here is mine:

260352797_cf8867fc-e62a-4efa-bbf7-4ba7cda2d4bc.jpg

Joe Public and mydeafcat like this.
  3. Temprus Dec 27, 2017

Joe Public likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 27, 2017

Well, its not rare nor is it oversized.

Joe Public and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Dec 28, 2017

This is only learned through experience. Certain styles were used for certain references and if the length/material fits the dial, you should then consider if it is a type of hands that are common on that reference or that style of dial. After some time it'll be apparent when something is off; like chrome spinners on a '57 Chevy. You are definitely on the right track :)

A fun example re. hands I experienced recently on a different board was when a ref. 2639 (probably one of the most common vintage Omega refs) was being discussed, with the consensus that the hands were wrong. Here's the watch:

[​IMG]
    (Thanks)

The hands are correct for a ref. 2639, but probably not for that particular dial! The 2639 with full arabic dial is usually found with syringe style hands, like these:

[​IMG]
    (from here)

So you see, it isn't always as clear cut as you'd think, but it takes a bit of experience...

Joe Public likes this.