Forums Latest Members
  1. cj415 Dec 14, 2016

I need help identifying an Omega that a friend of mine has asked me about and I just don't know enough about Omegas to help him.

Can anyone help identify this model as well as the calibre?
    Also, when looking us a serial number, is it the case number or the movement number that matters? In this case, both are in the 9,xxx,xxx range, so that puts this watch tot eh early 40s.

Here is what I do know. The watch is solid 14k and has a slightly stepped front case. It is sweep seconds, and not subseconds. It has a screw down back and is marked Omega on the inside. I'm not sure if it's a redial or not as I haven't pulled the dial, but I don't see too many Roman Numeral dials out there. The movement is silver and most Omega dials I see from this era are gilt.

Thanks for any help.
    Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vitezi likes this.
  2. François Pépin Dec 14, 2016

It looks like a 23,4 SC, and it seems in great shape!

Do you have a better pic of the dial?

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 14, 2016

Missing seconds hand.
    gatorcpa

4. cj415 Dec 14, 2016

Thanks for the help... Yes, gatorcpa, the sweep hand is gone. Luckily the pinion is there, so I'll source a new one for my friend.

Francois, thanks for the help. This is a 17j movement and from what I can tell, the 23.4SC is a 15j movement. I is getting me closer than before. I am thinking that because of the chapter ring and the sweep hand, this may be something be one of the Medicus models, but I still can't find it.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks,
    Chris

5. François Pépin Dec 15, 2016

Hum, you are right, the 23,4 series is supposed to have 15 jewels. But your movement really looks like a 23,4SC.

6. cj415 Jan 8, 2017

After some additional research, I see that the 23.4 came in a 15j and 17j version. After removing the balance, I found 23.4 SC T1 stamped.

I am also still believing it is a Medicus model since it has the chapter ring.

I was going to write away to Omega for some additional info, but I see that they charge for the service (120 CHF), do I'll continue the research.

Thanks for any additional help!
    Chris

7. François Pépin Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for the info, good to know!

8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 9, 2017

Hi
    definitely a 23.4SC, but as far as I know from period catalogs and adverts, ´Medicus' was the name dedicated to the first model with square case. It is now used, even by Omega in its database, for all 23.4SC, which is improper in my humble opinion. The OP watch would more likely belong to the 'Naiad' range.
    I will check in my catalogs to se if I can identify the model.

chronos likes this.