Forums Latest Members
  1. greekbum Aug 27, 2015

1st post on this great forum. While I am new here I've been a long term Rolex collector. I recently picked up this tropical speedmaster this summer for my personal collection.The previous owner had Omega install a new caseback. I am a bit confused as to what ref this is can anybody help with whats correct or not? One pusher is longer than the other i noticed and i was able to get the original bezel from the seller also. Thanks for your help.
    Nick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 27, 2015

Hi Nick,

Welcome!

Looks like it could be a 145.012 or a 105.012 judging from the serial numbers. It's unfortunate that the case back is not original.

The pics show two different bezels. You said you were able to get the original? Do you have a picture of it? The tachy at the 90 mark should have a dot up and to the right of the 90. The bezel in the first picture shows the dot beside the 90 a that would not be correct for this vintage.

Here's an indispensable resource for speedmaster info, pointed at the models noted above for you.

http://speedmaster101.com/145-012/
    http://speedmaster101.com/105-012/

The publisher of that blog is a member here known as @Spacefruit

It is a nice looking watch. I hope you get your questions answered!

3. marturx Aug 27, 2015

Looks to me like a 105.012-66 HF

You will need a correct caseback and a couple of pushers to get it right again

4. ConElPueblo Aug 28, 2015

It's of the "pink hands" variety, I see...

oddboy likes this.
  5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 28, 2015

The pusher screw on the inside of the case appears to have loosened, the screw holds the pusher in place from the inside of the case, if it disengages fully the pusher will fall off.

I would suggest that you do something to hold the pusher in place, so that it doesn't fall off and get lost.

A piece of tape over the pusher and a visit to a watchmaker to sort it out would be my suggestion, you also don't want the screw inside the case to fall out and get jammed into the workings of the movement, so at this stage I would not wind or use the watch till it was looked at.

www.roberthoran.eu

michaelmc likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2015

Nikko, welcome, hope all is well with you.

The color of the dial on that one is excellent - I'd have grabbed it too. The rest can be fixed, and the case looks pretty good

The bezel is not correct, it is a later service replacement - is the original one in good shape? A very good DON bezel is fetching at or above $1k these days.

The caseback is also a service replacement (it has an extra "zero" in the reference number).

The pusher looks loose, not longer.

I'm sure it felt like a huge bargain relative to a "tropical" Rolex Sub.

Don't spread the word. ;)

7. ConElPueblo Aug 28, 2015

As I hinted at in my previous post, the colours of the photo have been altered, look at how pink the hand is - the dial is most likely a less smooth, brown colour in real life.

8. daswunschkind Aug 28, 2015

Gosh, nice watch. I think this reference could be a good hunting target! ;-) (or Seamaster 300.... so many beautiful watch, so little funds...)

9. watchlovr Aug 28, 2015

They certainly don't look pink on my monitor.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 28, 2015

I think ConEPueblo I suggesting that this watch may have come from a well known, though not well loved dealer who always has excellent though often touched up sales listings..

I thought the same too, given some of the inconsistencies. Not insurmountable ones, but not a 100% watch either.

gophishin likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 28, 2015

Definitley pink hand on my monitor!

:D

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 9.00.24 pm.png

12. watchlovr Aug 28, 2015

Sorry I thought you meant the hands on the watch were pink!

13. greekbum Aug 28, 2015

The photos have not been altered. The top photo was taken the day i bought the watch in direct sunlight on my iPhone. The other photos were taken in my light box last night. There is no trickery here I just came here to this good forum for some advise as to what ref# this maybe and if everything looks ok on the watch. I know vintage Rolex well and offer my knowledge on those to all that ask and was looking for some help on this here. The watch was bought in a coffee shop in Athens, Greece this summer. Thanks to all who have already made suggestions. I am going to take it to my watchmaker soon to see about the screw. Would Omega if given the serial number be able to tell what ref# this was? based on my little knowledge of these it can be one of 2. Thanks again for everybody opinions please keep them coming.

Darlinboy likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 28, 2015

The serial and the close T's on the dial would indicate pre-145.012, something around a 105.012-65 or 66HF at a best guess. You can get an extract on this serial range of 321 so that'll say for sure though it won't specify the year like a caseback would.

Well done on scoring the original bezel from the owner btw :thumbsup:

greekbum likes this.
  15. michaelmc Aug 28, 2015

Welcome Nick. The scans are not altered, I saw the watch in person yesterday and it is a beauty, lovely brown all over and still some gloss left to it. I told Nick to check here are as "most" are knowledgeable and helpf

PS. look at the last scan where bezel is replaced with dot over 90.

ConElPueblo and greekbum like this.
  16. michaelmc Aug 28, 2015

totally incorrect imho.

greekbum likes this.
  17. Davidt Aug 28, 2015

Stunning dial, congrats.

Some of the confusion may be down to the fact that the first pic looks similar to ones used by a well known seller, and perhaps some posters thought you were reusing his picture, prior to receiving the watch.

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 28, 2015

19. greekbum Aug 28, 2015

Thanks Michael for telling me about the forum and your help. Brown dials are hard to photograph and in different light look way different imho. I love the watch and plan n keeping it in my collection. I just took these outside today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2015

I've done business with Nik, and have no reason whatsoever to believe he'd misrepresent the watch in any way - a stand-up guy all around. Looks like a really nice example to me, one I'd be happy to own.

To that end.....

@greekbum, there is an OF tradition around here called "DIBS", wherein the member who calls "DIBS" has first crack at the other member's watch should the owner decide to move it on. This DIBS process is enforceable by law, as far as you know.

I'm calling DIBS on this one. ;)

traf and greekbum like this.