Forums Latest Members
  1. bieb1 Aug 25, 2014

Dear experts,

I am looking at this 1940 chronometre for sale at around 950 euro, but have no expertise whatsoever with this age/type watch. Is it what it pretends to be (apart from what I think is a replacement crown) and do these type watches trade for this type of value? Please let me know what you think, thank you.

Sellers pictures and description:
    rhodium coated movement, movement nr. 10406xxx
    silvered dial with gold applied indexes and hands
    SS case, 35.5 mm

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. John R Smith Aug 25, 2014

Erich (mac_omega) is the man who knows all about these chronometers. As far as I can see, the case looks correct, and the movement seems good with the RG regulator - also note that this one is pre-Incabloc. The date has got to be mid-1940s with that serial number and case, I would have thought.

P.S. I'm just rather thrown by the dial and hands, which look later in style than I associate with these chronometers - but I am no expert on these.

bieb1 likes this.
  3. mac_omega Aug 25, 2014

Only the case is correct - except the strange "30 SCS" inscription which looks engraved by hand, not punched? This has been added "aftermarket"...

Dial type is wrong and badly re-printed or "chronometre" added later... wrongly positioned - this word should be placed just below the Omega logo!

It is a simple 30 T2 SC movement - readable below the balance, chronometer version looks different,
    should also be rose gold plated.

Erich

bieb1 likes this.
  4. bieb1 Aug 25, 2014

Thanks John and Erich. I am glad I asked and now you have pointed things out, can see that the dial furniture looks later and the 30 SCS look like a later addition. Thanks for the coaching!