Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. GMTspeedmaster

GMTspeedmaster May 31, 2019

I have been searching for a while and found this.per serial number my birth year watch

Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch
    $3,777
    https://chrono24.app/omega/speedmas...eel--id11260312.htm?SETLANG=en_US&SETCURR=USD

Some of my concerns are:

This one has a step dial, some book reference says step dial ends in 1971?

The Chrono hand seems off?

Bezel?

Any information that I can get from fellow forum members will help me prior to deciding to get this one.

Thank you

2. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2019

Looks correct. -74 step dials do and do not exist.

The main sources say they have been observed, but distribution of them is odd. There isn’t a good reason why a -74 would have a step dial unless it left the factory that way. They would not have received one in a service.

So some sources say they are incorrect but not wrong...

Run the serial number on ilovemyspeedmaster.com

BatDad and GMTspeedmaster like this.
  3. GMTspeedmaster

Thank you, serial turn out to be the correct birth year.

The Chrono hand is kinda off?

4. larryganz

larryganz The cable guy May 31, 2019

Serial numbers for 1970's Speedmasters was all over the place, with a range of 4-5 million for any particular year. You have to go by the extract of the archives or a receipt to date it better. I have a 145.022-74 with a serial in the 39M range and an extract dating it to October 13, 1976.

GMTspeedmaster likes this.
  5. GMTspeedmaster

Thanks

6. larryganz

larryganz The cable guy May 31, 2019

What I posted isn't to say that I'm not willing to put my faith in a serial number for a non-Speedy. Ignorance is bliss, and if the serial number matches the tables, it may be good enough to be a "birth year" watch.

Just wanted you to be aware that in the 1970's Speedmasters that the serial numbers did jump around a bit, with a wider range of number seen for any particular year. At first I was worried that my 39M serial number meant the movement had been replaced, but the author of the Book "Moonwatch Only" assured me that he had actually seen (or heard of) the 145.022-74 having a later 39M serial. That's when I ordered the extract of the archives to confirm.

I bought a Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz for my son's 18th birthday that has a 56M serial number dating it to 1998. But a lot of people have had posted about SMP Quartz and had a consistent serial number for that year (56M serial).

Same with a 1998 Speedmaster Pro, where I've found a few of them with a 48,38x,xxx serial up to 48,40x,xxx, so when I bought a 1998 Speedmaster Pro 3572.50 with Luminova dial for my son's college graduation, I got a 48,387,xxx serial number for him. I trust that it's very likely from his birth year, and from my research there is a slim chance it was from 1997 or 1999, but not likely.

At some point, Speedmaster Pro serial numbers by year diverged from non Speedmaster Pro watch serial numbers by year http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-articles/omega/omega-serial-numbers-by-year/

7. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 1, 2019

Well we are getting into the weeds now with no really good answer. Unless you get an extract...

There are theories not backed by extracts. As of yet...

We do know that the MWO authors put this in correct range for a -74 and I’m not sure if that’s observed data or data they got when they had access to the archive.

-74’s come in 2 sets. 39m and 35m and earlier serial numbers.

The 35m has overlap with the 69’s, although it's more common in 32m and lower.

Some people have postulated that the -74 caseback was put on some unsold -69’s which did not have the nasa engravings to make them more marketable....

I personally in my research think a 35m is most likely a 74 or early 75 production.

The -74 through -78 are somewhat unloved by the big names as they are considered a bit boring. I disagree but that’s me.

At the end of the day and -74 is going to need an extract from Omega to prove its date.

Personally as a -76 Birthyear watch owner unfortunately made in 77 I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s close enough. Which is another long story but it was the best we could with the data we had 3 years ago. Who knows what we will know in 3 more years...

8. larryganz

larryganz The cable guy Jun 1, 2019

Well, that's what I was saying - you need the extract to be sure.

I said above as an example that my -74 was produced Oct 13 1976 (per extract) with a 39M serial that some thought would be found in a 1979.

Hadn't planned to sell mine, but it seems to be your birth year according to the extract :whistling:

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. GMTspeedmaster

GMTspeedmaster Jun 1, 2019

i entered the complete serial to ilovemyspeedmaster.com and result is sept 1975

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. larryganz

larryganz The cable guy Jun 1, 2019

I entered my serial number, and got the following results - it's pretty close to the extract prediction.

Screenshot 2019-05-31 23.12.39.png

11. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 1, 2019

I love runs a linear progression that -74’s don’t appear to have. I’m pretty sure an extract would say earlier then that.

12. DotOverNine

DotOverNine Jun 1, 2019

I think it's pretty fairly priced -74. Watches on Chrono24 are usually overpriced.

My thoughts on birthday speedys: I'm also born -74. Been looking for one aswell. Haven't made up my mind yet on which date is most important. I'd like it to say -74 on the caseback. But again, i'd prefer the step dial (ofcourse there's a step dial in this posts very watch but somewhat hard to pursue) Or is it more important that the EoA states 1974... got me all wound up now =)

BatDad and GMTspeedmaster like this.
  13. GMTspeedmaster

How much does Omega charge for a full service for this watch? Thanks

14. BatDad

BatDad Jun 1, 2019

+1. And you also get a vintage 1171 with it. I think it’s a decent price once you factor in a service. Seem to recall prices went up recently :$750ish?

15. bikehomero

bikehomero Jun 1, 2019

There are damages at the indexes at 4 and 5 and I can't see if there is lume anymore on the indexes. Colour fo the hands is damaged as well, wouldn't tell this patina. If you don't care about this, I think the price is OK.

Don't let it service at Omega, look for a good watchmaker instead. I'm shure the mebers here can help you to find one.

16. bikehomero

bikehomero Jun 1, 2019

As more as I look to the pictures the more I think there is no more lume on the indexes.

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. DotOverNine

DotOverNine Jun 1, 2019

The more i look i tend to agree bikehomero.
    Also, even being a DNN bezel, it's a shame the whole "9" digit is worn out...

18. GMTspeedmaster

Looks like a lot of work then

19. GMTspeedmaster

GMTspeedmaster Jun 4, 2019

If you guys find a better piece , kindly let me know

20. GMTspeedmaster

GMTspeedmaster Sep 20, 2019

i'm still searching..