Forums Latest Members
  1. mr_keen Jan 4, 2022

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thoughts on the watch linked above? Not familiar with this type of watch but the 600s may be more in my price range than the 168 refs I’ve been looking at to snag in high quality condition.

overall I like the condition of the dial - it says repainted in the description so I guess I need to decide if that’s okay for me. Replaced crown too maybe judging from description but I can’t really tell.

The lugs seem quite sharp as compared to one like this for example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Seam...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If anybody has big picture thoughts on this vs a 166/168 ref watch or other models as I search for an affordable SS watch that looks this style, in a good condition like this, which will likely last me a long time without much hassle, please, please share. It is a difficult search!

Edited Jan 4, 2022
  2. mr_keen Jan 4, 2022

I’m sorry, I am not able to figure out how to post eBay pictures from mobile. I can go on my computer soon and do it.

3. Davidt Jan 4, 2022

The Seamaster 600’s were popular in the 60’s and many have survived in varying conditions. There are some dogs, there are some that have been restored with polished cases and repainted dials (such as the example you have linked) and there are a good number in good original condition.

I like this reference. It’s relatively affordable, the movement is bulletproof, there’s a huge range of dial styles and due to the numbers produced it’s not hard to find one in good, original condition. Some collectors feel it’s a bit basic and it is, but I still like it for the aforementioned reasons. In fact I own a couple and bought my brother one a few years ago for Christmas which he wears most days.

However, the one you linked has a repainted dial. IMO there’s no need to buy a redialed Seamaster 600 as there are so many available with original dials in good condition. If you want to buy one ready to go, pay a premium from a trusted dealer who has serviced it etc. If you’re happy to get your own watchmaker to do it which would be my preference) then you should be able to find a good one for £300-400.

mr_keen likes this.
  4. mr_keen Jan 4, 2022

Thank you so much. Should I be concerned with the date vs no date (135 vs 136) reference in terms of either having trickier movement, or will the date version still be just as long lasting and easy to service? In your experience, is a good condition watch likely to give me a long life of happy usage after a recent servicing?

Do you have any examples of a trusted dealer as you mentioned?

If you compare it to something like say a 168.024, would you apply the same logic of what you said above? Or is that much more difficult because it is a watch with a considerably lower supply of very good condition watches?

Apologies for the barrage of questions. It’s tough to do all the research and I appreciate experienced members such as yourself.

5. Davidt Jan 4, 2022

No difference between cal 601 or 611/613 (Eg no date 135.011 vs date 136.011). Both a robust, reliable movements and should give years of good service if well maintained.

The same really applies to the 168.024 (or the non chronometer version 166.010). These use Omega cal 5xx and again, it’s pretty much front the zenith of Omega in quality terms and a good example should give years of service.

The key criteria here are condition and ongoing maintenance. You need to start with a good example. When a watch has been redialed and polished it’s often because it led a hard life and was in poor condition prior to being repainted (who repaints a pristine, original dial?!?). This isn’t the best starting point as if the dial’s had moisture issues etc, the movement may also have been neglected or had water damage.

With a nice original example it’s much more likely the watch has either been well cared for or seen little use, which is why the dial (and movement) should generally be in better condition and much more likely to give you years of good service. Just another reason why I’d much rather wait for a good original example than buy a redialed watch which has no collector value and possibly a movement in poor condition or with miss-matched parts.

I can’t help with a US dealer as I’m in the UK and generally I buy from private sellers/auctions.

Edited Jan 4, 2022
    mr_keen likes this.