Forums Latest Members

HELP WANTED: First time buying a vintage watch. Nervous.

1. Trpt86 Oct 25, 2014

Hello, I've decided to buy a vintage Omega, it's my first time buying and I'm a little overwhelmed/nervous about the number of scary fake watch stories I've read online. I read a magazine article that suggested using Chrono24 because it is more reputable than other online watch marketplaces. These are the two watches I found in my price range that I like looks of the best but was hoping someone here could give me an informed opinion about the authenticity and price. And help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

First: $450
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/se...r=1&tab=details&urlSubpath=/omega/index-6.htm

Watch 1 1.jpg Watch 1 2.jpg watch 1 3.jpg

Second $563

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/vi...ails&urlSubpath=/omega/index.htm&watchTypes=U

Watch 2 1.jpg Watch 2 2.jpg Watch 2 3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 25, 2014

Hi and welcome. Both pieces as stated in the listings have repainted dials and are of no appeal to collectors.
    I would suggest to follow the items for sale on this forum if a genuine piece is what you are after.

3. John R Smith Oct 25, 2014

I'm afraid that both of these examples are truly horrible and a very good example of what to avoid, even though they are both genuine Omegas and not fakes. Besides the refinished dials you have corroded cases and rough looking movements. Sadly, Chrono24 is not a reliable or safe source for the beginning collector, there is just as much over-priced junk on there as anywhere else. You are very welcome here, and you would be well advised to hang around, read the threads, ask some questions, and keep your money safe until the right watch shows up ;)

TNTwatch and marturx like this.
  4. Trpt86 Oct 25, 2014

Thanks, as I;m brand new at this so I'm glad I asked here first. Is $500ish an unrealistically low price for something worth owning?

5. John R Smith Oct 25, 2014

$500 is pretty tight as a budget, but it is possible to get something nice depending on your tastes. Have a look at our own For Sale sections and see what is around there at the moment, not necessarily to buy but to browse ;)

Alpha likes this.
  6. Mothra Oct 25, 2014

;) I'm guessing the top left lug has had a new hole drilled on the first one, based on that photo. Trpt, please promise not to buy anything without support until you are a little more comfortable with spotting issues.

TNTwatch likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2014

You can get a nice Seamaster Cosmic in that range, they're under appreciated but you can find a good condition example with a great movement at a reasonable price

TNTwatch and Waynepjr like this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 25, 2014

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2014