Forums Latest Members

Help w/ Omega Seamaster identification (1949?) and rough valuation.. also how to open safely?

1. hopeful Sep 7, 2015

Hello,

So firstly I apologize for the two poor quality pictures. I read the sticky and understand good pics are essential. I only have my mediocre phone camera, will try and borrow a better one asap. Also figured pics of the interior would be needed, and I have no idea how to open it so any advice there would be helpful.

If you have any ideas from just these, that would also be great. All I know is that it was originally a (wedding?) gift from my great grandfather, passed down through a couple generations until I allegedly lost it when I borrowed it for some event in maybe highschool? Anyways, recently found it and have had trouble identifying it through somewhat limited browsing.

I did at least check the Seamaster history on their website, and worked myself into believing it could be one of the first ones with the full second hand from 1949. I have heard claims from family that it was from either the 1950s or 1960s, so I guess it could be possible. Also gramps seems convinced the crystal had to be changed once, and he didn't like the new crystal because it was too thick? I'm sure that is probably not great news valuation-wise, but I would still love to know how old the watch is. Also I don't believe that is the original band, think I had that one swapped on for whatever highschool event.

Sorry for the lengthy post and poor quality pics, will update with better pics once I can snag a camera / someone provides advice on how to open safely. Started as just searching my old room for things to sell as I was home for labor day weekend, but now I am also super curious about the year, could not find a pic of one like it and there are few identifying marks. Just the words 'Omega', 'automatic', and 'seamaster' on the face, and that dragon/seamonster(?) on the back. And the words '14k gold filled' around the top edge. Also it does still work, just had to move it around for a while first. Seems it is maybe one of those 'bumper' models? IDK

Best wishes, thanks in advance for any help!

watchface1.jpg watchback1.jpg

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 7, 2015

3. hopeful Sep 7, 2015

Wow that was quick, thank you. Where could I find any markings that might lead me to the specific year? Also how much would be reasonable to get it cleaned/tuned if I wanted to start wearing it?

4. TexOmega Sep 7, 2015

Open it up, remember serial number, Google"omega Serial Numbers" open one of first hits, match numbers to get year range, post your thank you's here, done.

Local: $2-300 unless in real bad shape

5. Georgieboy58 Sep 8, 2015

Ouch, looks like the lugs have been bent on the crown side to match the width of the non original bracelet!

Giff2577 likes this.
  6. Hijak Sep 8, 2015

:(I'd let a professional handle fixing this...these lugs are very thin and delicate, easy to snap off!

7. omegastar Sep 8, 2015

Actually it is a seamaster deville, the early models didn't have deville written on the dial... they are generally from 1961.