Forums Latest Members
  1. silviogo Sep 6, 2014

Hi all, Silvio from Italy. I have a family omega watch that I don't know much about it.

Can you help me to understand if it's an original Omega and what type is?

It's steel not gold or silver, and it's manual charge. It was one of my grandfather watches...but that's all I know
    uploadfromtaptalk1410012093385.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410012093385.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410012093385.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

uploadfromtaptalk1410012121657.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1410012162127.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2014

Can you take the caseback off and show us the inside of the caseback and the movement?

3. silviogo Sep 6, 2014

How can I remove it from back? With a small screwdriver?

4. silviogo Sep 6, 2014

Yeah probably I don't have proper instruments to remove the pressure fit back case. Any idea on the omega series could it be without opening on the back?

5. silviogo Sep 8, 2014

No one hum?

6. speedbird Sep 8, 2014

Yeah, don't fiddle with it yourself. The reason case backs are sealed is to keep folks out. Watch movements are fragile and if you don't know what you're doing, you could do damage.

The he movement is likely a 30t2 base. Take it to a good watchmaker (no, not the mall kiosk guy) and have them open it. There will be a serial which will date it approximately, and a model number (reference number)

7. tamura Sep 8, 2014

Same case different dial. Case reference 14732-1sc, Caliber 285 - 1960.
    omega 14732-1sc.jpg

silviogo and watchyouwant like this.
  8. silviogo Sep 10, 2014

Have a "name" this type of Omega? What is the average value (apart my affective value)..just to have an idea. The glass is very scratchy...do you think it worth (if possible) replace it?

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 10, 2014

Replacing glass is not that expensive. Service and glass replacement and make sure they dont polish it as this will reduce value

10. silviogo Sep 10, 2014

Do you suggest to replace the glass with a new one or to polish the old one watch? What is the expected value of this watch?

11. bill5959 Sep 10, 2014

Silvio, people do not typically give values on watches. My own grandfather's watch has more sentimental value than it is worth. You are lucky to have such a piece. I don't know your watch, but I imagine you can do some searching on Ebay or Chrono24 to find similar watches. The information above should give you a decent start. just remember there is a lot of junk out there, and assuming your watch hasn't been touched because it is in family, you may not find an exact match. But you can at least get a range of value. Best of luck Ciao. Bill

PS Will Ferrari now get a winner in F1? I didn't like the statement that F is now an American company. That is the worst thing that can happen to them-----well maybe not the worst:D

silviogo likes this.
  12. silviogo Sep 11, 2014

Thanks Bill. as I told first I have a priceless sentimental value, I was just wondering an idea of what I'm using day-by-day.
    I've try on eBay and crono, but not able to find this model...find something slightly different with different case or number...bit not exactly this.
    Regarding the glass...do you guys think is better to let the original (and little bit scratchy) one as it's the value of having an vintage Omega?

Ferrari...it's a question of prospective. Here in Italy/europe we know that chrisler-jeep was bought from fiat and now they are more European (infact in my city Torino birthplace of FIAT we will produce next jeep suv)...so no one here think to fiat or ferrari as an American brand...but usa is a huge market for fiat and ferrari. I've been this year in East coast and past year on west for two months and see so many FIAT500 like never before in USA!
    BTW now FIAT (FCA) is a global company...and ferrari part of it, but they will produce here in Italy in.modena forever...no doubt about it!

13. bill5959 Sep 11, 2014

It's great to see Fiat back. Even more exciting is the Alpha. The geulettos (spelling)? were some of the prettiest cars done back in the day. You can try polish on the crystal if you have somebody good. People tend the have different perspectives on how far they want restore a watch. I've left my grandfathers alone because it's part of the history. But the crystal is above average and doesn't bother me. However the case back will need to be opened as recommended above to solve the ultimate question of what it might. Best of luck. Bill

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2014

A note folks, on this forum it is perfectly permissible to ask for a valuation and to give suggested values. This is quite common here.

STANDY likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 11, 2014

Nothing like a ball park value.....

16. silviogo Sep 11, 2014

What do you mean?

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 11, 2014

He means it is good to get a general value or rough estimate. The the valuation does not have to be exact to be useful. A USA idiomatic expression

silviogo likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 11, 2014

If a watch is worth $800 to $900 this would make $850 in the ball park and $1600 would be way out of the ball park

silviogo likes this.
  19. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 11, 2014

I suggest you find a good independant watchmaker and ask him to clean, oil and adjust the movement. You can also ask him if he can polish out the crystal (but not the case, as others have said this kills the value), at that point you can make a decision as to whether the the crystal is worth keeping or to replace. Once the watch has been opened you can take a picture of the movement and inside caseback and someone will be able to give you more information on the manufacture date etc.
    As for value, it looks to be in nice condition, but I would be very surprised if it went over US$1,000 at auction, my personal guess would be around US$650.

silviogo likes this.
  20. silviogo Sep 11, 2014

Finally I've the time to go in my city (torino italy) to am official omega distributor that have assistance and certified omega laboratory. They finally open it! They say it was a early 1960 omega in good conditions inside. Behind the back cover wast emboss last assistance in 1971! I let to laboratory they told me that a maintenance needs to be done after 40 years...around 150euro. Expected value from 500 to 600 euro.

Here the inside picture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll glad to listen your impression!
    Silvio