Forums Latest Members
  1. Wojtek Sep 13, 2015

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about buying watch attached below, however I have few doubts if this is original Omega. I have only those two pics. Is there anybody, who can identify if this is real one or fake? I do not have any addidetails

1)
    [​IMG]
    2)
    [​IMG]

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Sep 13, 2015

The small seconds is at the nine, so its likely a pocket watch movement that been adapted into a wrist watch.

The movement looks like a scaled down version of the 19''' (which isn't a bad thing) and the serial number dates it to about 1904.

It was common practice for watch movements to be sold with or without cases in those days and, as the wrist watch was a newish idea, it was also quite common to adapt the movements from smaller ladies sized watches (pendant watches) into the new fangled wrist device. There were even aftermarket conversion dials readily available for the job which placed the seconds hand at the nine so the pendant would be at the three. So while it may not be a factory piece its very possible that it was assembled like this, by the jeweler or watchmaker at the original point of sale, when new and has always been like this.

Looking at the shape of it, the case was likely designed for this purpose as it doesn't look like the usual "pocket watch case with lugs added" conversion. The dial looks poorly redone, so it may have been a bodge job for the conversion. The font is about right for the twenties, so it might be a later conversion. It wasn't uncommon for slower selling movements to sit in stock for a while so it could still have been new in the twenties. I've got presentation watches dated a decade after there actual manufacture so.....

It was a common way to make a wrist watch at the time. Its likely not worth much though, so if its cheap and you like it go for it. Just don't think of it as an investment watch..... a Timex might be better for that.

3. Wojtek Sep 13, 2015

WOW! Thank You very much for your response, I'm very impressed of this :) Now the price is about 40$. I have to think about it after all you have written. Since now I have few old russian watches (Pobieda, Wostok, Poljot, Rakieta), but i would like to buy something better also and though it could be kind of 'burgain' :)

4. OMTOM Sep 13, 2015

With a movement number 395…., may I suggest a bit later, towards 1910-12? However, I otherwise agree with Fritz.
    I attach three images of dials from the mid- to late-twenties (movement numbers 601/678/688). The numbers on the dial shown by Wojtek are from a similar period.
    So assuming the dial is not original, the easy change is from pocket- to wrist-.
    Even the hands are a mixture (Romaine minute and Empire hour).
    If he gives it to you, smile gratefully.

Dial dating a.png

Dial dating b.jpg

Dial dating c.png

Giff2577 and Fritz like this.
  5. Wojtek Sep 14, 2015

Thank's a lot! So I guess, this watch is not worth 40$ ?

6. Noisy Nova Sep 14, 2015

Sure it is. Ya spend more than that at the coffee shop each week. ;)