Forums Latest Members
  1. Pahawi Jun 3, 2014

A local guy contacted me wanting me to buy this 145.012. Obviously there's some issues, so I'd like to hear your take on the watch and what you think a fair price is?

Facts:

It’s just serviced and the receipt says it got a full service, new crystal, new pushers, new chrono hand (wrong), new gasket/seals, couple of new screws, and rust removed. Owner was charged $820/EUR600 for the work.

The “Rust removed” can cover all sorts of things, so I called the watchmaker to find out, and he explained the seal at the crown was bad, causing some light rust inside the case, which he removed. No damaged to the movement at all, he said.

That’s what I know. Here’s the sellers pics:

IMG_6638.JPG IMG_6639.JPG IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6645.JPG IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6650.JPG IMG_6654.JPG

Let me know what you think - good or bad :)

Thanks.

Paul

2. marturx Jun 4, 2014

Where are the exchanged parts?

3. Pahawi Jun 4, 2014

Watchmaker offered them to him, but the owner didnt want them, so they were probably tossed.....

Btw., during service it got a new main spring too.

Thanks.

4. richardew Jun 4, 2014

The case is fair. The dial is fair at best. Can't believe he doesn't have the original sweep second hand. The hour and minute hands are poor. The back goes with the case, i.e. it's fair. The movement looks O'K but there is a bit of corrosion present. I haven't many c321 speedys go for under $4000 lately. I'd say $3000-$3500 tops. There are better dials out there that pop up for sale. Same with the hands. A bit of a project watch.

Spacefruit and JohnSteed like this.
  5. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 4, 2014

wouldn't buy
    condition, condition

6. marturx Jun 4, 2014

It isn't that bad IMO. I see a possibility here. The hands can be fixed, and a correct chrono sec hand is available. I don't know about the pushers, the present one are later replacements. The originals are much cooler. Watchmakers never toss anything. I should ask the seller to ask the watchmaker if it would be possible to have the exchanged parts back after all. Then I would consider buying it a fair price, say 3000 USD

The movement looks OK, I don't think it's corroded

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. Pahawi Jun 4, 2014

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I'll call the watchmaker and ask if the parts is still available........

8. Unwound Jun 4, 2014

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.. Buy it and be its curator, it has to happen to the watch at some point. These things are old and continue to have offenses put upon them by so called "watchmakers" (even Omega themselves). A rescue and enjoy mission.

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2014

Dot over 90, dent over 60, and dings all over the case. If you can get the original parts and get the watch for a decent price, go for it.

10. Pahawi Jun 4, 2014

I have a -67 project already, so the price really have to be decent, for me to jump on another...... :)

11. Onfullblast Jun 4, 2014

Or pick up on the cheap & pass on to fellow lover here :whistling:

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 5, 2014

Project- and user-grade 321's seem a bit cool at the moment. Or they're all over-priced...Don't ask me how I know...;)

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 5, 2014

I know why you say that....

to get good money, vintage watches, (and cars and almost any collectible ) has to charm potential buyers. Let them think they are "discovering" something.

buyers are currently charmed by "barn finds" . That means something that looks like it's been untouched for many many years.

A 1960's watch that has suprluminova hands and a new bezel is not going to excite interest, because it betrays a past where someone (fairly recently) thought they could improve it.

also overly detailed descriptions sometimes leave nothing to the imagination. People paying the big money for 321's are dreamers, who like to think they have found something that others have missed. And they don't need to be told....they think they already know!

Well I speak for myself....but also I have often seen speedmasters on eBay with blurred photos, described along the lines of "my dad's watch. Bought in '60's" AND NOTHING ELSE sell for over 4000. And they really do need work. One had no bezel.

in short, sometimes less is more.

i wish you all the best with your sale.

14. Pahawi Jun 20, 2014

Update:

Met with the seller yesterday and I’m now the owner of another -67. Sadly the old pushers were gone and I didn’t get it for quite the price I had hoped, but after seeing it in person, I felt the asking price was fair. Dial is better than the above pics indicated. Case edges is pretty sharp, but it also has its dings etc., from normal use.
    Now to decide what to do with it, but most likely I’ll have the minute and hour hand restored (old lume seems intact) and have a new chrono sec. hand patinated. A light polish of the case too - maybe......

of1.JPG

of2.JPG

of3.JPG

Thanks.

Davidt, Dablitzer and Tritium like this.
  15. Tritium Jun 20, 2014

Well done!
    Keep this speedy collection growing :thumbsup:

16. Dablitzer Jun 20, 2014

Nice find Paul! How many Is that now? :)

17. Pahawi Jun 20, 2014

4, but if I ever find a nice Connie Deluxe, this might have to go :)

Paul