Forums Latest Members
  1. mikromiksu Jul 16, 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my first vintage watch and I've been eye balling a lot of vintage omegas lately. I'm especially interested in 60's constellations. As mentioned I'm total newbie into this "game" so I'd appreciate some help here.

I found this 168.015 constellation from ebay. I like the look of this style more than piepans, just my personal preference. I'm trying to verify if it's original from the outside. I've tried to do some "homework" by myself and here are things im wondering:
    The dial. I tried to google this particular model and from what I've found the baton at 12 o'clock should be doubled. Also the letter M's are not straight, which is the case in examples that I found. The second marks next to date window also seem to be quite "stronger" than in other watches I've seen.
    The crown. I guess this is correct crown for this model although it differs from other constellations I've seen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's said to be serviced 3 years ago but seller doesn't have any papers of this or pictures of the movement. Watch is said to be running "fine" though. What do you think of this watch, worth the shot at around 400€? This model is monocoque and from what I've understood the servicing can get relatively expensive?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Noddyman Jul 16, 2018

Hi,
    On the outside (with exception of the crown) it all looks good to me.
    Most of these have a single baton at 12, possibly you are looking at the 168.025 models?
    I have seen these with both straight and splayed M's so don't think that's an issue.
    The case condition is very good and still retains all its edges.
    On the inside it should have a CAL 564 from 1966 onwards. It may prove difficult to get photos of the movement as it comes out through the front on these. Worth asking though!
    At €400 I think its a bargain.
    Let others chime in before you make a decision as I am still a novice.

Edit: There is faint spotting on the dial but nothing major.

Edited Jul 16, 2018
    mikromiksu likes this.
  3. michael22 Jul 16, 2018

i don't think servicing costs more for being monocoque.

mikromiksu likes this.
  4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 16, 2018

These Connies are an acquired taste and so less desirable than their stable-mates but this one is in great condition and appears to be pink gold cap.
    Whilst they don’t fetch the prices of others, 400 Euro seems like a bargain to me.
    The crown does look too long but again appears to be pink, so matches.
    The white spots may be on the crystal not the dial but there may be a bit of dial spotting bottom right.
    IIRC servicing is only marginally more expensive than a screw back.

If you like this style it would be a buy from me.

mikromiksu likes this.
  5. mikromiksu Jul 16, 2018

Thank you for your replies! The white spots are on the dial according to seller. Spots seem to be quite small though, should I be concerned about those?

6. Noddyman Jul 16, 2018

Those white spots are likely caused by moisture which has penetrated the lacquers surface. It could deteriorate further or it could be stable, no way to know for sure.
    In my opinion it doesn't look too bad and you probably wouldn't notice at normal magnification.
    It's still a good price regardless.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 16, 2018

Dial looks original to me and overall it seems to be worth the money asked.

A bit of a gamble with not seeing the movement. At the very least, you should ask the seller if the push-pull date is operational. That way you’ll know if the correct cal. 564 movement is inside.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

8. Dan S Jul 16, 2018

Looks nice, and a good entry point into Omega dress watches. If the seller takes returns, I say go for it!

9. mikromiksu Jul 16, 2018

Unfortunately for me seller does not take returns(private seller in ebay). I will ask about the push-pull date, good point!

10. BenBagbag Jul 16, 2018

Is the crown (stem) bent?

11. mikromiksu Jul 16, 2018

It certainly does look like so now that i look into picture. I asked seller and he said that date change and crown in general are working as should.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 16, 2018

This is common. The push-pull action of the date changes tends to put stress on the crown/stem assembly.

Just bear in mind that the stem may need to be replaced during the next service.
    gatorcpa